What should I be prepared for when coming off BCP??

TexasRider

Mother of 1
Reaction score
Ok so I'm coming off my BCP for the first time in over 2 years. I had come off the pills one time for about 6 months and then got back on them. So I've been on the pill for almost 10 years. The last time I came off them I don't remember having any bad side effects and I think my cycles were pretty regular.. I have been on Levora for the past 3 or so months and before that was Sprintec(which totally sucked). Sorry this is really long but I'm just curious as to what to expect when I dont start my new pack on Sunday like normal..And how long it may take me to ovulate so I don't get too excited and then disappointed every month. lol Anyways any help y'all can give me is greatly appreciated :haha:

I dont really know much about it but i can tell you based on my own experience,
finished my pill pack as usual and had withdrawal, next AF was 28 days later but now they have gone up to 33-35 days which is odd for me as i was always 28-30 before BCP
Im not sure exactly when i ovulate as i dont temp or anything but i didnt get any EWCM until the 3rd month so im guessing maybe thats when i started ovulating properly :wacko:
hope iv been some help x

Likewise I can only say my experiences. I had a very short cycle and extremely light AF after my normal withdrawal bleed (22/23 days). It freaked me out a little as I thought I would be late the first month. The very next period was similar in length to before BCP, but I had spotting and very strange cramps, plus AF lasted a little longer than before. I think I OV'd the first month, but I don't think I did last month. I'm only going on EWCM, which is the only real tracking I do. In my head I think 3 months roughly for your body to adapt is a reasonable assumption (for BCP) and that as chances are 20-25% dependent on age, then I hope to have a result within 4-5 months after that.

In short everyone is different. I have had several friends who got pregnant on first cycle after BCP (you can be extremely fertile that first month), others who took 3 - 4 months, and one who didn't have a single period for 5 1/2 mths, when she discovered she was 7 wks pregnant. The only thing we have in common is that we've all been on BCP for at least 8yrs without any real breaks.

I have one more week left before I am coming off my bcp after 5 years with no periods at all and 13 years in total. I am really excited to have my af again. I have heard some awful withdrawal symptoms with the pill I've been on though (cerazette). I can post what happens with me if that helps.

I just tend to worry about everything way too much.. So on the one hand I'm afraid that I will get pregnant later this month or it will take forever for it to happen! lol I had a friend who came off of her BCP and she has done nothing but complain about how bad she feels and she has "estrogen" headaches... I personally think she is a bit a of a drama queen but I guess it is possible. So I am also kind of nervous that I will have bad withdrawel symptoms....

And I can't talk to anyone in his or my family about it because we agreed not to tell anyone we were trying. That way we don't have to listen to "Are you pregnant yet?" Our familys are already kinda on our case about having a baby anyways. My dad really wants a grandbaby :) and his mom and dad aren't much better. So hopefully we have good news to tell them soon!

I've just started bleeding on and off randomly. Started bleeding yesterday on day 29 but its very light, not a real period and no cramps. Pretty fed up actually because I've bled randomly 3 times in the last month :/ ...but it's different for everyone. Good luck :dust: xx

My cycles appear to have returned ok so far. I've just had my second af since coming off the pill after 12ish years. Only thing I can say is omg pmt is back with a vengeance! I have every symptom going. Good luck x

Ohh and I forgot to mention- I had sore boobs for 3 weeks...and they've grown haha. Thought it was meant to be the opposite ha! Maybe the pill was suppressing my huge boobies :haha: xx

What bad effects can happen when coming off birth control pills? is it different depending what pill? ive been on microgynon 30

I think main thing people CAN experience (not saying you will!) is irregular bleeding -either not at all or long cycles, acne you might have had before the pill could come back, same with pms, heavier or lighter periods etc. To be honest it really can go either way as no one is the same. Doctors say it can take up to 6 months for your body to become 'normal' again. Hope that helps!

I've just come off of Microgynon 30 - My withdrawal bleed was fine, then my 1st real cycle was 23 days with no problems.... This cycle however has been horrible :( It was 31 days long, which ok isnt a major problem... But i had so many symptoms which were making me think i was pregnant,.. Sore boobs (i never suffer with my boobs), odd cramps (not period like) headaches etc etc...

So basically, you may be totally fine and have no nasty effects at all... But on the other hand your body may go a bit squiffy as your hormones settle back down & your cycles may go a bit off whack.

But hey its all worth it in the long run :D Good luck sweetie xxx

Well so far I don't think that I have had any bad symptoms... I have had some upset stomach issues but I'm writing that off due to diet. I'm lactose intolerant so if I eat too much dairy I get massively sick.. And I've been having headaches lately too, not bad ones but just enought to tell I have one.

Also last night after OH and I DTD I was feeling a little crampy kind of near my ovaries and today it's kinda starting to hurt too... I have no idea when I Ov since this is my first cycle off of BCP. The fertility chart says I'm gonna O this weekend like on Sunday (my Bday!) but it may be wrong??? I honestly have no idea.

But as far as I am concerned so far so good! Just praying for regular cycles so I know where I'm at :)

I've just come off of Microgynon 30 - My withdrawal bleed was fine, then my 1st real cycle was 23 days with no problems.... This cycle however has been horrible :( It was 31 days long, which ok isnt a major problem... But i had so many symptoms which were making me think i was pregnant,.. Sore boobs (i never suffer with my boobs), odd cramps (not period like) headaches etc etc...

So basically, you may be totally fine and have no nasty effects at all... But on the other hand your body may go a bit squiffy as your hormones settle back down & your cycles may go a bit off whack.

But hey its all worth it in the long run :D Good luck sweetie xxx

Baby.love our cycles seem pretty similar. My first was 22/23 days and very light and my second was 29 days (a day longer than before) with very strange cramps and twinges, lasted longer and I had spotting - all things unusual for me before BCP. I don't feel that this is my month now, but it would be fab if our third post-BCP-AF DOESN'T show up together!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->