what should the Dr do on your first visit?

Gemma Simone

Reaction score
i'm just wondering what other people's doctors did when you went to see him to say you were pregnant?

When I went last month (before mc) he just took blood pressure and then gave me a sheet of paper with a list of dates of when need to make appointments. Since I found out I was pregnant again I've not yet booked an appointment as there doesn't seem a lot of point. At least until i'm sure its a sticky bean. what were your experiences?

Ermm if i can rightly remember he asked me how it happend (mistake, no protection ect, proberly because im young), if i had decided what i wanted to do, told me my edd then gave me some forms to fill in x

Mine just told me my EDD and then wrote out a referral form for the midwife.

I think it is a good idea to go (in my opinion) I havent been in your situation but I understand why your thinking of putting it off. I dont know how it works in your area as everywhere is different but it was my doctor who booked my scan appointment at my first visit and I had to see the doctor before I was booked in with the midwife. Also you may get an early scan as I know many people do if they have had a previous mc. You can request one im sure?? Hope this helps best of luck xxxx

well mine just asked me how i felt about it, whether the dad was involved, did a wee test cos i asked him to, dont think he wouldve otherwise, confirmed it for me, gave me my edd, gave me a few booklets to read, told me the limit for abortion and booked me in for the midwife

:)

mine laughed and asked if it was planned - she said most 3rd babies werent!!!

She referred me to the early unit cos of bleeding, then told me to make appt with the midwife

I live in the US so its probably completely different then most of you but, we have a full check up with the doctor fill out a BUNCH of forms get our due date schedule all our scans and learn about all the different with the doctor. We get a papsmear and our bloodscreen done. They do a urine test for UTI's everytime you go. Thats pretty much how it is. My first appointment lasted 2 hours. Granted we had a lot to talk about and she thought i was further along so looked for heart beat with doppler but I was right and I wasn't far enough along to hear it :( but thats how it goes for your first appointment all the other ones are just general follow ups where you talk about your problems get tested for UTI's and talk with either your midwife or doctor.

Kelly

I am expecting the same as what kellysays2u said above.

Just checked blood perssure and did the referrals.
I can understand your worries but if you see your doctor now they will be aware of your past and may offer an earlier scan?

All my Dr did was give me a rough idea how far gone I was based on my lmp and told me to make an appointment with the mw. She also ran over what foods I should stay away from. Lasted all of 5mins and most of that time was spent printing off a prescription for laxatives!

Only because I asked about a couple of symptoms did I then get referred for a blood test, if I didn't then that would have been it. No forms, no referrals, nowt.

My doc asked me about my period dates to work out an EDD then asked if i had any worries - he gave me a free prescription of folic acid (even though i was already taking it) had a feel of my tummy 'cos i'd have cramps and pains then made me an app for my scan...

I kinda left my app with the doc quite late as i MC in feb and knew the routine, plus it didnt seem that far in between for my scan too :o)

I think you should go hun, at least they can inform the hospital where you'll be scanned xx

He asked me to drop off a sample of morning urine the next day just to confirm I actually was pregnant, gave me a baby text book (rofl), asked me if I was taking folic acid and referred me to the midwife. It was a quick in and out and i've not seen a GP since.

Oh and he asked if I was in a safe living arrangement which I thought was quite rude at the time but looking back I think it was a nice thing for him to think about and make sure we were somewhere safe.

I didn't even get to see my doctor. I had to pick up an early pregnancy pack from the receptionist and follow the instructions inside, which was to ring the ante-natal clinic to arrange my 1st appointment and fill out a form to book my 12 week scan. I wasn't even asked for a urine sample, they just took my word for it that i was pregnant!

1st visit to DR he gave me due date and info pack on the practice and when to expect contact from midwife, tests offered, scans I will be getting and also a pot to do a urine sample. I then had to book a double appointment for the next week with him.

2nd visit (double appointment) He filled out a huge info form on me and OH and took blood pressure and checked heart and lungs. Asked if I had any questions re booklets etc etc and said to get in touch if I wanted to chat and said mw would be in touch and scan date sent through post.

I got my mw and scan date through post a few weeks back and midwife is tomorrow and scan is end of the month.

I would go to DR again so he knows.

Good Luck!

Emma,x

thanks so much - its really useful to hear about all of your experiences. I'm going to book an appointment for the end of the week.

well mine asked if it was planned then confirmed my EDD, checked i was taking folic acid and then told me to come back round week 8/9 for my bloods to be done with the nurse. The receptionist told me more when i went to make my appointment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->