What the frack is wrong with people?!?!?

seoj

Our family of four...
Reaction score
Sad news story... please be aware:

There was a High School shooting just minutes from where I live and work... it's so sad.... and I cannot imagine the pain those parents must be feeling, just knowing their kids were there and what *could* of happened. So far- one student was shot and one teacher (that we know of as the news updates)-- and the teacher is Ok, but ,the student was not so lucky.

My oldest actually goes to school with and knows the teachers daughter- luckily they go to the other school in our area, not where the shooting occured... I feel bad even thinking "luckily", but I cannot imagine.

In some ways I feel this is another symptom of our society. Although, I can't imagine what would drive anyone, let alone someone so young, to commit such an act. It happens too often these days- or maybe we just hear about it more often? IDK. It's incredibly sad... :cry:

We also had a mall shooting in Dec of 2012- a mall that my family and I frequent and were at the weekend before the shooting. Just really hits people when it's this close to home... :nope:

Thanks hun- these are for sure those moments I wish I could just put both my kids in a bubble to protect them from the world around us... although not realistic, it's sounds lovely in theory...

Awwh that's awful. I would be thinking the same things too. I think it happens a lot more often in America. I don't really know much about it but you always hear that its about gun laws. I think if people want to get a gun, they will, regardless of laws xx

It must be scary so close to home but remember the chances of it happening to you are still extremely unlikely . Very few people own guns in the UK, so it is disturbing to hear how easy it is to purchase a gun over there.

The thing is- most of these shooting are not done by the people who actually purchased the gun. Not sure how they came about it- but if there is a will, there is a way I suppose. I do think it's a symptom of the society we live in that there are so many school shooting (and mall or other shootings- even a theatre not that long ago). It's just sad... I don't have the answers, but I wish there were some. Maybe if people got more involved and didn't fluff the signs off? It seems it usually comes to light that the person had issues- and signs- but for whatever reason they were ignored, or not taken seriously. IDK-- there are no good words. It's all so senseless really.

It must be scary so close to home but remember the chances of it happening to you are still extremely unlikely . Very few people own guns in the UK, so it is disturbing to hear how easy it is to purchase a gun over there.

Talk about crazy- in Texas recently a "group" of gun activists carried a bunch of riffles into different fast food restaurants to demonstrate how they were disrespected... because the store owners asked them to leave.

Um- yeah, I would of too. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't make it right. And if the store owner is on private property- it is well within their right to refuse service. It just all seemed counter productive in their fight for their "cause"... whatever that is! :shrug:

And thanks- it's always scary to hear (it happens all over our country)- but especially when it's literally 5mins from my home/work- and my child knows kids at that school. It just kinda puts it all in perspective ya know... but such is life I suppose.

Firstly I'm so sorry to hear this. It must be very scary to have it happen so close to home.

Something popped up on twitter earlier with a statistic to US gun crime that shocked me.. apparently in a 14 month period in 2013-14 there were 44 school shootings. 44!!

And in 2014 so far there have been over 30. :nope:

I just can't comprehend it.

Are Canadian laws more strict than the US? The only gun I've seen (or known anyone to own) in the UK (outside of the rare few times police have them) is a hunting rifle that is kept in a locked box in the attic and brought out once a year for a hunting weekend.

Firstly I'm so sorry to hear this. It must be very scary to have it happen so close to home.

Something popped up on twitter earlier with a statistic to US gun crime that shocked me.. apparently in a 14 month period in 2013-14 there were 44 school shootings. 44!!

Are Canadian laws more strict than the US? The only gun I've seen (or known anyone to own) in the UK (outside of the rare few times police have them) is a hunting rifle that is kept in a locked box in the attic and brought out once a year for a hunting weekend.

I dont know about the gun laws in Canada, but what about the boy that stabbed and killed like 5 people up there?? I dont blame the guns, I blame the crazy people that will find a way to cause mayhem regardless of the method.

I dont know about the gun laws in Canada, but what about the boy that stabbed and killed like 5 people up there?? I dont blame the guns, I blame the crazy people that will find a way to cause mayhem regardless of the method.

I don't blame the guns either- it's not guns that kill people, people kill people- one way or another. I just do think that guns are less *Intimate* if that makes any sense? Like stabbing, or beatings etc... those are close up and personal (maybe I watch too much CSI?)... but it's all relative.

No matter what laws there are- things will happen. It just seems that gun violence (least in the U.S.) has risen in more recent years... but I'm no expert! :wacko:

I don't blame the guns either- it's not guns that kill people, people kill people- one way or another. I just do think that guns are less *Intimate* if that makes any sense? Like stabbing, or beatings etc... those are close up and personal (maybe I watch too much CSI?)... but it's all relative.

No matter what laws there are- things will happen. It just seems that gun violence (least in the U.S.) has risen in more recent years... but I'm no expert! :wacko:

I agree with Seoj, I don't blame the guns directly but I do blame the law and the attitude to guns that there seems to be. If you took guns away I don't believe that there would be the same number of stabbings. As Seoj says, stabbing is a far more intimate, messy crime. Also knives are far easier to get hold of yet you still don't hear of many mass stabbings. There have also been many reports of very young children (5/6) that have been playing with guns and have fatally shot someone, can't see that happening with knives.

But then again, I'm British and we generally have a very different view on guns!

I agree, its not as "personal." And I dont think someone with a knife could get as much done as an automatic weapon. Awful all the way around.

(If I ever decide to go insane, I have learned so much from CSI....:haha:)

I agree with Seoj, I don't blame the guns directly but I do blame the law and the attitude to guns that there seems to be. If you took guns away I don't believe that there would be the same number of stabbings. As Seoj says, stabbing is a far more intimate, messy crime. Also knives are far easier to get hold of yet you still don't hear of many mass stabbings. There have also been many reports of very young children (5/6) that have been playing with guns and have fatally shot someone, can't see that happening with knives.

But then again, I'm British and we generally have a very different view on guns!

There were jus three stabbings done by kids under the age of 12. All girls, ironcally enough. One was against her mother. They blamed some ficitonal character, "Slender Man?"

I do agree though, I think the "accident" portion would be removed from it, but I blame the parents in those scenarios in the first place.

Im pleased to see this thread is not rolling into a gun debate though!

^^Ugh- that whole "slender man" thing just made me sick. The thought of such young girls doing something that intimate and horrid to someone they know... makes my skin crawl!!!

I read about that 'slender man' murder, it's right out of the movies, incomprehensible. Just can't fathom how young girls get that idea into their head. :nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->