What to ask a childminder?

history_girls

Mummy to 2 Girlies
Reaction score
I'm aiming to go back to work when LO is about 6 months old and I am looking into childminders. There seems to be a shortage around here so I am investigating early in order to reserve her a place. The place I got all the info from (called Kites here) gave me a list of very predictable questions but I was wondering if anyone has any experience of childminders and what are the important things to ask? I tend to like most people I meet and I am worried I will not ask enough questions!

I guess how they'd spend their day/week with your LO
What extras you'd have to pay for, like trips out, meals etc
What food they feed
Experience
Qualifications & crb, ofsted etc
What other kids they look after
Parenting style? Like if they use cio but you don't

I have to start thinking about this soon but haven't quite got there yet.

Some things I wouldn't have thought about until I saw Otter in daycare --

how do you put them to sleep? (at Otter's daycare they cover them up totally with their blankets -- even their heads! I was like :shock: when I saw this. But they say it helps them sleep better when others are noisey. I had to ask them not to do that)

How often do you change dipes? (Some only change them every few hours or if they had a bm -- some will change more often if asked. I am kinda a freak about changing Otter all the time, needed or not. :haha: )

What kind of weaning do you plan to do and is the caregiver okay to do it your way? (I BLW and am having issues getting Otter's daycare on board)

Do you believe in stern speaking? What kind of dicipline, etc? Everyone parent differently, make sure they can follow what YOU do. (I am not stern with Otter, but some of the caregivers are stern with the older kids. Thankfully he won't still be there once he gets that age)

How do you feel about parents popping in randomly and spending time?

Also, DO that! I have been a bit surprised by what I have seen and found out by doing that. I go in to nurse and spend my lunch hour with Otter. I have seen more about how things run by doing that than I ever did by "scheduling" times to come in and spend time. Everyone is on their best behavior then!

Right well I just had my first chat with a prospective childminder yesterday. I asked / we chatted about:

- I wouldn't want CIO/CC ever used, so asked her about her views on that
- Asked about sticking to routines
- She asked lots of about Ruby's development and personality
- I explained to her that Ruby is BLW and we never want her to be 'fed' or cajoled into eating.
- I asked her about meals
- I asked her about the settling in routine
- She told me about her family
- She told me about the other children she looks after / will be looking after

Pets is another good thing to bring up. A lot of childminders where I am not only have them, but they are part of the day to day interaction and play with the kids.

Also ask about holidays or if you run late picking them up etc. Also stance on someone other than you or OH picking LO up. Some want ID or a secret password before letting LO go - you might want to check what their 'rules' are if they have any.

In addition to what everyone else has said but you may find they cover alot off first. Mine did and gave me their handbook.

-Sickness policies.
-Trips/Days out? Any additional costs for these?
- Wipes/Nappies etc....With ours we only need to provide Nappies.
- If the younger children are kept seperate from the babies during play periods. My Childminders actually a couple so have a few children on their books in varying age ranges.

I have also asked that I am not told if Ellis takes his first steps or say's his first word. Ignorance is bliss and I would to think that when I saw it for the first time it was the first time.

im meeting my first prospective childminder on tuesday....
questions above are all great..
also things like what activities does she take them too.. and extras.. this childminder uses baby signing which i love, and does 2 different mums & tots every week...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->