What to buy and how much?

DreamCatcher_

Reaction score
It's been 6 years since I had DS and I genuinely can't remember much about getting prepared for a baby. I had a lot of stuff gifted and donated at the time and never really thought about what he had/needed as it all seemed taken care of while I struggled through first year of uni.

I'm 17 weeks and starting to compile a list of what this nugget needs but I've no idea. I have the usual - baby bath; onesies; vests; nappies; cot; pram; car seat etc but what else and how much?

What have you got your LO and, if appropriate, how much of each? I'm hoping to get a list started and slowly pick up bits week by week to stop any stress.

It depends on your LO, how sicky they are (sicky baby go through more outfit changes) but clothes wise these are the amounts I've found enough, working on the assumption that I'll do LO's laundry twice a week:
* Vests (short and/or long sleeved) x10
* Sleepsuits x8 (my LO's lived in sleepsuits in the first few weeks/months so i had quite a few, but 8 would be fine to have 1 a day for bedtime, plus spares in case of poopsploshions/throwing up)
* Outfits (if you plan to have LO in "proper" clothes) x7
* Socks x5 pairs
* Scratch mits (if you use them) x 3 pairs
* Cardigans/jumpers x4
* Snowsuit/pramsuit x1
* Hat x1
* Sleeping bags / cellular blankets x2 (and 1 or 2 for the pushchair if you like)
* Sheets (for moses basket and cot) x3
* Towels x3
* Nappies- I always buy lots of size 2's as I know that LO will fit in them, and in the case of my 1st LO, went straight into them so I didn't buy many size 1's with my subsequent children; it is easy enough to have a couple of packets of size 1's and go and get more if you need them. The general rule I hear is to assume that your LO will get through 10 nappies a day. Amazon regularly have offers on big boxes of Pampers which bring the price down a lot and are worth stocking up on them if you use them.
* Baby wipes- I usually stock up on these as and when I see a good deal since I go through them quickly. I use Huggies Pure and Amazon regularly have them on a better than half price offer for boxes of 18 packs.
* Swaddles (if you plan on using them x2-3
* Muslins x8(some people use loads, I never did, but they're handy to have and I use them as cleaning cloths now lol.
Then things like flannels/bath sponges, nappy bags, bottles, formula and steriliser (if you're formula feeding), changing mat, Moses basket and cot (new mattresses), thermometer.

I received a lot of gifts at the baby shower but I've made sure to buy plenty of outfits in different sizes. I have 1 pack of newborn diapers and a bunch of size 1, which I received at the shower. You will always need baby shampoos, lotions, and diaper rash creams. I have also stocked up on pacifiers, since they will get lost, baby wash cloths, and a baby bath.

Thank you both, this definitely helps me get a bit more organised x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->