What to do after breastmilk?

margarita1979

Reaction score
Hi Ladies! I need some advice. I've been exclusively pumping for DS for the last 10.5 months. He is going to start daycare in mid-November (at 1 year), and I will also be going back to work. I plan to stop pumping before heading back to work. I have a few questions:

What do I give DS after breastmilk? Should we go to formula? He is not the best solids eater, so I fear he wouldn't be getting a lot of nutrients if we were to just give him cow's milk in place of breastmilk. Would formula be better for him than just cow's milk (until he starts eating better)?

How did you transition from breastmilk to formula and/or cow's milk? Do you slowly mix one or the other with breastmilk? Or offer them separately? How long did it take to make the transition? Not quite sure how to proceed.

Thanks in advance.

We started with full fat milk with my girl at 1. I just tried a bottle of it, she drank the lot and was fine and that was it. You'll have to try and see how it goes. It's just one of those as some babies can struggle a bit when going onto cows milk and then others like my daughter are just fine. But if he's not eating solids that well if probably keep giving him formula (follow on milk) so he still gets all he needs and then switch to full fat cows milk

High five for EP 10.5 months! That's fantastic! :thumbup:

What I've heard is that toddler formula is basically a marketing gimmick, and that it has lots of added sugar to make it palatable to toddlers. No personal experience with it, but that's part of why we're not using it.

I would go with an alternative milk (cow's milk, or goat's, or almond or coconut milk if you like those better). I had a similar concern about LO having too much cow's milk -- he takes up to about 25 oz of EBM some days -- but our doctor said it was fine.

LO may very well be eating more solids by 12 months, and especially at daycare. Mine eats tons at daycare but barely any at home! I think it's a combination of all the distraction and seeing other children eat throughout the day.

Some people will tell you never to mix anything with EBM, because it can result in wasted EBM if LO doesn't finish the whole thing, but a LC told me to mix at first so that's what I've been doing. Remember to mix at the same temperature -- it's easier if your boy will take EBM cold. We started off with about 3 parts EBM to 1 part cow's milk. That's been going well for a couple weeks so I'm going to proceed to half and half next week. So in total it will probably take a month or more to transition fully (minus the one cup of EBM I plan to keep giving at bedtime). I'm sure we could have gone forward more quickly, but since I don't plan to completely wean from the pump for a while anyway, I don't mind.

Well done!!

I breastfed my son til he was 11 months and then completely stopped when I returned to work. He went straight onto cows milk with no problem at all.

I wouldnt give formula beyond 1 year as I dont think there is any need for it. And cows milk is less than half the price too!:flower:

You could also try giving him some cow milk in cereal to see how he gets on - nursery will also ask that you try him with that first before they'll give it him in case of allergic reactions.

My lo isn't fully on cows milk because of age, but she has it with her cereal so I think the transition will be easier as such but I'd just give a little bit first to see how he gets on.

Good luck x

Hi there! My oldest drank 1st formula until she was around 15 months old. Then I asked her pediatrician whether I should give her toddler's milk or whole milk. At first she said the regular cow's milk is okay until I told her she isn't always the most awesome eater. Then she recommended sticking with toddler's milk as it has all the vitamins they need (plus I read it's easier on the tummy). I know recommendations vary on when/whether to switch to whole milk and depending on how well of an eater they are. In any case, I'd speak with his pediatrician first.

As for switching from breastmilk to formula - I made the switch gradually when my youngest was 4 months old. I introduced one bottle of formula a day and she didn't really seem to notice a difference actually. It was the same when I switched my oldest from 1st formula to toddler's milk - she didn't seem to be bothered or even notice a difference. Maybe I got lucky, who knows! So, with my youngest, a few weeks after starting a bottle a day of formula then gradually upping that she was completely switched to formula without a problem. Poo changed but no constipation problems thankfully!

Good luck! :)

Thank you for all your replies!

We still have 6 weeks until DS starts daycare, but I wanted to be prepared with his "meal" plan. Any recommendations on which formula to use? DS had formula when he was first born until about 3 months, just until my milk came in. We gave him Enfamil ready-to-feed, which he didn't seem to have issues with.

High five for EP 10.5 months! That's fantastic! :thumbup:

What I've heard is that toddler formula is basically a marketing gimmick, and that it has lots of added sugar to make it palatable to toddlers. No personal experience with it, but that's part of why we're not using it.

LO may very well be eating more solids by 12 months, and especially at daycare. Mine eats tons at daycare but barely any at home! I think it's a combination of all the distraction and seeing other children eat throughout the day.

Thanks! I had not heard this about toddler formula. Hmm, may have to research a bit more.

He eats better with distraction, so I'm hoping he will eat better at daycare, too.

I wouldnt give formula beyond 1 year as I dont think there is any need for it. And cows milk is less than half the price too!:flower:

I just worry about him getting the proper nutrition.

You could also try giving him some cow milk in cereal to see how he gets on - nursery will also ask that you try him with that first before they'll give it him in case of allergic reactions.

I tried making his cereal this morning with cow's milk. He made a bit of a face, but had a few spoons of it (and then, of course, mommy had the rest, as per usual).

Hi there! My oldest drank 1st formula until she was around 15 months old. Then I asked her pediatrician whether I should give her toddler's milk or whole milk. At first she said the regular cow's milk is okay until I told her she isn't always the most awesome eater. Then she recommended sticking with toddler's milk as it has all the vitamins they need (plus I read it's easier on the tummy). I know recommendations vary on when/whether to switch to whole milk and depending on how well of an eater they are. In any case, I'd speak with his pediatrician first.

What brand of formula and toddler's milk did you use? DS' doctor is only available one day a week until the end of the year (must be nice), so her schedule is already booked up. I had to book DS' 1 year appointment two months ago. :dohh:

We're in Germany so the brands are different. In any case, wishing you good luck! I'd Google around and read some formula brand reviews if getting an appt. with his pediatrician takes so long. :/

We carried using formula for at least 1 bottle per day until around 15 months. At 12 months she was still having more milk than food so I didn't want to switch completely to cows milk and risk her not getting the right nutrients.
As others have said, some babies will accept cows milk and some will need it mixing with their usual milk to get used to the taste.

You might find it harder to switch from breast milk to formula rather than to cows milk because formula tastes revolting!!

If you want to give formula it might be worth making it up and then adding breast milk if your LO won't take it on its own.

I'm in the uk so can't help with which brand to choose sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"