What type of Folic acid/ Folate are you taking?

ttcn15

Reaction score
What type of Folic acid/ Folate are you taking?

Equate brand Prenatal Multivitamins with 1mg Folate (folic acid)

I compared it to the leading brand name and the only difference in the medical ingredients were that the Equate had a tiny bit more vitamin b12

I've struggled with low b12 in the past so figured the extra little bit was probably a good thing

I take Solgar folate (ingredients list the source of folate as the brand name Metafolin). The bottle I have is 800mcg per tablet, and I take 2-3 each day. A fairly large percentage of the population (like 25-30% maybe?) cannot properly use synthetic folic acid in their bodies. In those individuals, the synthetic folic acid can even build up and block receptors from taking in natural folate from food sources, which can put them at greater risk of health issues, as well as increasing the risk of birth defects during pregnancy. There are tests that can show if you have the genetic mutation that causes this (mthfr gene mutation), but just to be safe I would recommend taking an activated form of folate anyway. It can't hurt, but it could certainly be helpful if your methylation process is impaired in any way.

Right now I am taking Sundown Naturals Whole Food Multi and Nature Made 400mcg folic acid. Before the sundown I was taking Nature Made Multi. I always take an extra folic acid regardless of what brand vitamins.

FYI I was taking nature made prenatals and bought my partner the nature made brand multi. Low and behold the ingredients were virtually identical BUT the prenatal were $8 more!

I take Solgar folate (ingredients list the source of folate as the brand name Metafolin). The bottle I have is 800mcg per tablet, and I take 2-3 each day. A fairly large percentage of the population (like 25-30% maybe?) cannot properly use synthetic folic acid in their bodies. In those individuals, the synthetic folic acid can even build up and block receptors from taking in natural folate from food sources, which can put them at greater risk of health issues, as well as increasing the risk of birth defects during pregnancy. There are tests that can show if you have the genetic mutation that causes this (mthfr gene mutation), but just to be safe I would recommend taking an activated form of folate anyway. It can't hurt, but it could certainly be helpful if your methylation process is impaired in any way.

@ Isme Me too I take the same as you 800mcg folate solgar but I only take 1 tablet and not more. how come you take more?

I take 4000mcg solgar folate. 2 with lunch and 2 with dinner.

Also a Solgar girl here too. Along with a prenatal. That one I switch between Garden of Life mykind prenatal and Natures Plus, and New Chapter. Also a good idea to get your guys on zinc and Folate as well

Vitafusion prenatal gummies, because any other type of prenatal makes me vomit whether I take it with food or not.

Sorry on my phone so I can't see what section this post was posted in.

Hopefully I didn't intrude on anything by giving my answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->