What vitamins do I need to take?

Beccaboop

Mummy to Jacob
Reaction score
Hiya

We are thinking of TTC in October and I was thinking it was probably be best to start taking vitamins and supplements about now but I don't know what exactly need to take so I just wondered what other hopeful mums to be are taking if anything ATM? :wacko:

Thanks in advance Becca

Hi Becca!
A lot of women choose to start on prenatals while TTC just because it has everything you need and is easier than trying to take separate vitamins. They can be a little pricey for some so I know a lot of women just take folic acid which is the most important vitamin to take when TTC, I think the recommended is between 400mcg-800mcg.
I was taking "Nature's Bounty Your Life Multi Prenatal" for about a month, but I couldn't swallow the pills (I have trouble) so I was splitting them open and just eating the vitamin paste with applesauce. This was quite a hassle so when I went to preconception appointment my doctor prescribed me chewable prenatals called "Completenate". I'm sure others can recommend some good ones to take too.
:flower:

Thanks bellaem

The chewable one sounds like the best as I have trouble swallowing large pills too. What sort of price is it? Ive noticed that a lot of them are really expensive

It really depends on your area and situation. Completenates need a prescription from your doctor. If you have good insurance than I would see if your doctor will prescribe them to you because then you will only have to pay the copay. My copay is only $3 so I made out pretty good. If you don't have good insurance or have a high copay then I would look online for good deals on over the counter chewable prenatals. Prices tend to be way more affordable online.
The first prenatals I bought at the drugstore were $12 for a 60 day supply, but they were buy one get one free so it ended up only being $6 for a 60 day supply. I would check your drugstore for prices and then come home on the internet and see if you can find a better deal for them.
Another fun tidbit of information is that my doctor told me if the prenatal she gave me was too hard on my stomach that I could just take two Flintstones gummy vitamins every day...I don't know if you've seen those before but they sell them in the drug store...and they are delicious! They are like eating candy!
Good luck!

Hey hun, Just make sure you take Folic acid 400mg at least, as lack of this can cause spinal tube defects.

Good luck with your ttc journey xxx

Folic acid is the only real essential, they are tiny little tablets so very easy to swallow, and you can get them in blister packs with the days of the week on, which is handy if you keep forgetting whether you've already taken them like me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgess422
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->