• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

what will happen if I go into natural labour??

lewood88

Mom of 2 expecting #3
Reaction score
I've had 2 c sections and I can't shift this feeling that I'll go into natural labour with this pregnancy, I feel so different compared to when I was having dd1 and dd2

I'm scared of my womb rupturing, I know I can labour on my own because I went into labor when I miscarried I know its not the same but I was on gas and air because the contractions was so bad so u know my body can do it

Will I be rushed in for an emergency c section or will they let me give birth vaginally?

I think if you wanted to have a section they would give you an emergency one but by the same token, would allow you to have a trial of Labour if that's what you preferred.

Has your consultant not advised you on this? Vbac is possible for most women but you would need to be accessed individually by your doctor.

yes I would say what Mrs.Bump said :)

There are a lot of factors, why you sectioned the last times, how long it's been since your last section, how thin your uterus wall was etc...

For me when I was preggo last time, they said if I went into labour to head to the hospital and they would section me right away. I couldn't VBAC due to a fibroid that doesn't allow my cervix to dilate.

I have to say I am feeling like you... this pregnancy I feel soo different my 2 DS's I never "felt" like I would go into labour... this one I totally do.. not sure if it's just because I am at a high risk of rupture, and so I'm always trying to plan what to do. My OH were actually discussing whether we go ambulance if my water breaks or if we just get in the car and get there as fast as possible. We are about 20 mins normal driving from the hospital...

Good luck!

My consultant told me when I saw him at 13 weeks that I am not to vbac due to high risk of rupture but I'm scared that if I go into labour what if I don't make it to the hospital in time, where we are its a 20 min drive to hospital, I have big babies too I'm glad I have my growth scan this Wednesday because I need to talk about my concerbd , now and then my scar does hurt and now he's getting bigger I've noticed it more it could be me being overly paranoid but I'm so scared I'm having anxiety over it all and when I googled uterine rupture omg I cried

Were both of your previous caesareans planned? If so, the likelihood that you wouldn't make it to the hospital if you started contracting is quite slim, as your cervix has not laboured/dilated before.
Even if you did labour before, the likelihood is still quite slim as 20 minutes is not that long :)

They would check you when you got there to see if you're going into labour, and monitor the baby, and if it looks like you are going into labour, then you would still have your caesarean - just as a semi-emergency instead (not a big mass panic with everyone running around, just as soon as possible that day).

Try not to worry, they will deal with that sort of scenario very frequently and will be on top of whatever needs to be done :)

OMG leewood I feel like I could have written your post :) I too am high risk of rupture and 20 mins from the hospital. We were just talking last night about whether we would call an ambulance or for OH to try and speed to get me there... My uterus almost ruptured 2 yrs ago.. it took over 1 year of tests before the doc said I could try for another baby...

Have they measured the thickness of your scar? I am high risk of rupture too, and I am a BIG pregnant person. At 22 weeks, my thickness was 3.9 mm at 30 weeks it was still 3.7 mm!!! which is amazing since I am so big. My doc said that the lower part of the uterus, where the scar is is not the part that expands, different type of muscles etc. I am having my thickness checked again on Wednesday, at 34 weeks. I will keep you posted. I found I was getting very anxious leading up to my scan at 30 weeks... but it was VERY reassuring that my thickness was good. They had to measure it internally since the baby is head down and very low.

I am again feeling anxious for my scan this coming wednesday.. I have been cramping a lot over the last week.

My advice would be to ask your doc what would trigger you going to the hospital, this has helped to calm me down, looking for these signs so that hopefully if I do go into labour on my own, that I would already be at the hospital. My guidelines are:

1. menstrual type cramping that is about 10 mins apart over 2 hrs.
2. Any "real" contraction in a regular pattern.
3. I asked about BH and he said as long there was no back pain, change in discharge, blood that they were fine.
4. Any blood, change in discharge back pain, whether with BH or not.

Good luck. I have been staying calm by being informed and having plans in place for the "what ifs". I'm not going to lie.. .now at 34 weeks.. I'm starting to get a little antsy...

Keep us updated!!

Kim

P.S. Stay away from Dr. Google and uterine rupture.. it's far too scary!!!

Were both of your previous caesareans planned? If so, the likelihood that you wouldn't make it to the hospital if you started contracting is quite slim, as your cervix has not laboured/dilated before.
Even if you did labour before, the likelihood is still quite slim as 20 minutes is not that long :)

They would check you when you got there to see if you're going into labour, and monitor the baby, and if it looks like you are going into labour, then you would still have your caesarean - just as a semi-emergency instead (not a big mass panic with everyone running around, just as soon as possible that day).

Try not to worry, they will deal with that sort of scenario very frequently and will be on top of whatever needs to be done :)

With dd1 I was induced which resulted into an emergency c section, with dd2 it was planned c section was going to try for vbac but had no progression and at my scan at 38 weeks dd2 was measuring big so they wanted me to have her by csection

OMG leewood I feel like I could have written your post :) I too am high risk of rupture and 20 mins from the hospital. We were just talking last night about whether we would call an ambulance or for OH to try and speed to get me there... My uterus almost ruptured 2 yrs ago.. it took over 1 year of tests before the doc said I could try for another baby...

Have they measured the thickness of your scar? I am high risk of rupture too, and I am a BIG pregnant person. At 22 weeks, my thickness was 3.9 mm at 30 weeks it was still 3.7 mm!!! which is amazing since I am so big. My doc said that the lower part of the uterus, where the scar is is not the part that expands, different type of muscles etc. I am having my thickness checked again on Wednesday, at 34 weeks. I will keep you posted. I found I was getting very anxious leading up to my scan at 30 weeks... but it was VERY reassuring that my thickness was good. They had to measure it internally since the baby is head down and very low.

I am again feeling anxious for my scan this coming wednesday.. I have been cramping a lot over the last week.

My advice would be to ask your doc what would trigger you going to the hospital, this has helped to calm me down, looking for these signs so that hopefully if I do go into labour on my own, that I would already be at the hospital. My guidelines are:

1. menstrual type cramping that is about 10 mins apart over 2 hrs.
2. Any "real" contraction in a regular pattern.
3. I asked about BH and he said as long there was no back pain, change in discharge, blood that they were fine.
4. Any blood, change in discharge back pain, whether with BH or not.

Good luck. I have been staying calm by being informed and having plans in place for the "what ifs". I'm not going to lie.. .now at 34 weeks.. I'm starting to get a little antsy...

Keep us updated!!

Kim

P.S. Stay away from Dr. Google and uterine rupture.. it's far too scary!!!

They haven't measured my scar but I will put that on my list to mention to the consultant and yes I do have a list lol I keep jotting things down that I can ask the consultant I am scared this time round because of the risks I'm just so glad after this I'll be sterilised

Yeah measuring of the thickness of your uterine wall where your scar is, is an indicator that a lot of places use when women want to VBAC. It's not an exact science, but the studies show that the thicker the uterus wall, the lower the risk of rupture (for the most part). Many hospitals require the thickness to be greater than 2 mm, 2.5 mm even 3 mm for a woman to be allowed to VBAC, they are all different.

What they have been doing with me, is measuring the thinnest part of my "LUS" or "Lower Uterine Segment" - where your scar is if you had the normal bikini line scar.

I am already scheduled at 38 weeks (instead of 39),...I'm not sure what will happen if they measure me and it's thinner... and there is no hard and fast rule of what "too thin" is... at this point it's risk management.. my doc has said several times, that he's gone to do a c-section and the wall is so thin that he can see the baby before he cuts... that normally he doesn't know ahead of time that it's thin... with me they do.. he keeps saying it's like silk.. thin but strong...

And yes I too will be having my tubes tied...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->