What will it take to meet my goal?

seaweed eater

Reaction score
I'd love some help with some questions I have about extended nursing and the milk needs of older babies.

My goal at the moment is to keep BF for at least another four months, until LO is 15 months. We'll be traveling internationally, and I'd like to be able to nurse on the plane and for comfort during the trip.

Right now, I work full time and my supply is starting to drop. I'm still keeping up with LO, but not with a lot of extra. I'm already pumping as much as I can, drinking a ton of water, and eating oatmeal. So my question is -- should I look into increasing my supply using herbs/medication? Or can I continue nursing enough to keep LO interested even if my supply decreases?

Right now he's starting to take some more solids, but definitely below average for his age, and his milk consumption hasn't decreased at all. He's always been a very frequent nurser and still has around 8-9 feeds/bottles a day, sometimes more.

So I assume his demand will decrease somewhat in the coming months anyway. I have enough EBM frozen for the next month until he turns 1 and can start having cow's milk. My vision/goal is to eventually continue nursing 2-4x per day and have any milk feeds during work hours replaced with cow's milk, so that ideally I wouldn't even have to pump (but I still could if I needed to).

So...does that make sense? Is it ok for me to start falling behind now in anticipation of replacing these feeds with cow's milk? Or will that cause my supply to drop so much that he's likely to lose interest in the remaining morning/evening/night feeds that I do want to keep? My priority is to keep nursing if possible, so I'd like to try herbs and/or domperidone if that's what it takes.

I hope this makes sense, it is complicated to explain :wacko: my impulse is always that combi-feeding is likely to fail in the long term, but since all of us with babies who take solids are combi-feeding in a certain sense, I'm not sure how this works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->