what would you choose?

NDH

5 on earth, 9 in heaven, 1 in utero
Reaction score
If you had to choose between a home birth that would cost $3000 or so or a hospital in which you'd previously had a really positive natural birth for free which would you choose?

It would always be home for me.....what does your heart say over your financial head?

If money were no object then home but the fact that you have had a previous positive experience at a birthing centre you should feel more confident to birth there.:thumbup:
Im going for a home birth due to negative experiences previously.

I had a really positive experience with my daughter at a birth centre, I had a natural water birth and it went pretty close to how I had wanted it.
However, this time I am hoping for a home birth. I think I will be more comfortable at home, plus I was really lucky last time to get get in the birth centre and get the pool, as the centre is only open 4 days per week and there is only one pool.
One of my main reasons for wanting a home birth is so that I'll definitely have a pool available to me.

If money was no object I would definitely go for home birth, my homebirth won't be costing much more than the cost of the pool, if it was closer to a couple of grand I think I wouldn't be too sad about settling for the birthing suite, but if I'd have had a bad hospital experience last time I guess I would feel better about forking out from all of my savings :/

If I had the choice (even if it meant holding off TTC until we had the funds, which is what it would be in our case), I would have a home birth every time. My home birth was a most fantastic experience. I suppose though, I am biased, as I haven't had a birth in a medical setting.

I sometimes think that we UK ladies forget how lucky we are to be able to get a "free" home birth - even though I know we may have to fight for it ;)

I never contemplated a hospital birth growing up - it was always going to be a home birth for me. But my lovely pastors wife was a midwife and delivered all the babies I knew, and the mother of children I used to babysit was a doula and both happily accepted payment plans (until homebirths became free)
But then I moved here before getting pregnant and there was no way we could consider it seeing as dh didn't have work for 6 months of my pregnancy and we weren't entitled to any benefits at all. Plus the only midwife I could find who does homebirths was way too alternative for me to feel comfortable with and our tiny two bedroom apartment doesn't even have a bathtub or room for a birth pool.

Long story short, I have zero regrets about not having a home birth with DD, especially considering the really great experience in the hospital (seriously I didn't even give them my birth plan yet everything was followed as they asked me at every stage - she even asked if i wanted a lotus birth).
I'd still love a home birth though but really struggling with the cost when it could be free (even if it was free i'd not have one where i'm living though)
But I suppose by the time #2 is on the way it might not even be an option to consider if things continue the way they're going with the threat of home births becoming illegal here :(

Fortunately in the UK we don't have to make those tough financial choices. A client asked me the other day, if my baby were breech would you have a vaginal birth in hospital? I thought and said no, I'd find the £4000 from somewhere to have experienced mws support me to birth at home. So I guess that's my equivalent choice. We definitely don't have that type of money to hand but I'd find a way. If its important then you make it happen. I guess you can't put a price on somethings. Listen to your heart. You already know the answer...it's in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->