What would you choose?

Nibblenic

Reaction score
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17336004

A man whose body is so paralysed that he wants a doctor to be able to kill him will find out later at the High Court if his case has been thrown out.

Tony Nicklinson, 58, from Melksham, Wiltshire, is seeking a ruling on whether a doctor who ended his life would have a defence against murder.

I feel so very sorry for this man, he is so desperate to die but has no ability to do it himself. I actually cannot think of anything worse that locked-in syndrome, it really is my worst nightmare.

I do think he has the right to end his life, it really isnt much of a life. Obviously as he needs assistance with everyone, he would need assistance to do it. Not even dignatas or similar would be able to take him as a patient. As he wouldnt be able to take the mixtures himself. I suppose it goes back to two threads, They right to commit suicide and the euphonasia one. I cannot even imagine the inner pain he must in and having the most basic physical functions taken away from you, but still just me as mentally agile.

Then this is a one off case, however making a ruling for him to be assisted in death would set a president, which could get complicated.

its difficult one, and im sure it will get thrown out, its illegal in this country, i was imvolved in one when i was nursing, well not dircetly involved, he went to holland to end his life, we had no idea until it was done, but we all had to be questioned to see if we had any influance on his decision.

I have always sat on the fense with regards these, but i know i wouldnt like to live like that.

This is complicated but i feel yes he has the right to end his life and if he cant do it himself and because of his circumstances, his standard of life, someone should be allowed to end his life without any consequences.

it should be made legal, in hospital, with obviously his consent as well as maybe his close family's/ next of kins signed consent and only under these certain circumstances x

So very sad but I think he has a right to do whatever he wants with his own person in these circumstances.
Personally I think I'd like to have the courage to end my life, in this situation Im not sure it would be about me wanting to die, I mean in reality ,who actually really wants to die? ...It's more for me about not waning to live in tht body or life.
I hope he gets the outcome he wants... It looks like mental torture having to live like that when your perfectly working mind just goes stagnant. Very sad.

He should be able to die if he wants, it's nt like he's just got a broken leg. He's trapped in his body and is suffering.

We put dogs down for a lot less as its classed as the humane thing to do

I think if we could provide a centre where it could be done like Dignitas then I don't see why people couldn't end their lives if they wanted to.
Obviously you can't just be depressed and want to end your life you'd have to have a medical reason but this guy is suffering in his body, he doesn't want to be here and prolonging his life is making him miserable.
We have rights from such a young age to be able to have a say over things but when it comes to deciding the best choice for your own life your not allowed.

He should be able to die if he wants, it's nt like he's just got a broken leg. He's trapped in his body and is suffering.

Yes.

Honestly, why should a person be forced to suffer? Whilst it's 'humane' to put animals out of that misery. I've never understood it. People have called me callous for my views but it's not as if I'm ignorant of the pain people can be in and how distressing severe/terminal illness is.

My Grandad struggled on while his organs gradually shut down, unable to do anything whatsoever, clearly suffering, dosed up on morphine, and the whole family felt powerless, feeling how unfair it was for him to keep on suffering when an extra dose would have sent him off painlessly. It was a relief that his pain had stopped when he took his last breath yesterday morning.

My mum was similar towards the end. Clearly no hope whatsoever of any form of recovery and just in pain/out of it from pain meds/in pain again and the cycle went on until the bitter end.

The law needs changed for circumstances like this and like the one in the article described. Obviously the law would have to be clear on what circumstances it would be allowed in etc. But it needs to happen IMO. Having been at the side of family members towards/at the end it scares shit out of me that I would be forced to suffer like that when my time comes.

:flower:

Yes.

Honestly, why should a person be forced to suffer? Whilst it's 'humane' to put animals out of that misery. I've never understood it. People have called me callous for my views but it's not as if I'm ignorant of the pain people can be in and how distressing severe/terminal illness is.
My Grandad struggled on while his organs gradually shut down, unable to do anything whatsoever, clearly suffering, dosed up on morphine, and the whole family felt powerless, feeling how unfair it was for him to keep on suffering when an extra dose would have sent him off painlessly. It was a relief that his pain had stopped when he took his last breath yesterday morning.
My mum was similar towards the end. Clearly no hope whatsoever of any form of recovery and just in pain/out of it from pain meds/in pain again and the cycle went on until the bitter end.

The law needs changed for circumstances like this and like the one in the article described. Obviously the law would have to be clear on what circumstances it would be allowed in etc. But it needs to happen IMO. Having been at the side of family members towards/at the end it scares shit out of me that I would be
forced to suffer like that when my time comes.

I was unsure about whether to bring up animals being put down but it's the only thing I could think to compare.
It really pisses me off when people are like oh no that poor dog needs a op but we can't afford it so let's do the "right" things and put him down.

I've heard of so many people waiting to die, so off their faces on drugs because in so much pain and somehow that's ok!
To me like you it's not ok and the law needs to be changed to reflect this.

For people who think its not right to be assisted in dying, I really wonder if they would feel the same if it was them or someone they loved lying in that bad trapped in their own body knowing everything that's going on around but no being able to do anything....god it would be horrible

Yes.

The law needs changed for circumstances like this and like the one in the article described. Obviously the law would have to be clear on what circumstances it would be allowed in etc. But it needs to happen IMO. Having been at the side of family members towards/at the end it scares shit out of me that I would be
forced to suffer like that when my time comes.

I was unsure about whether to bring up animals being put down but it's the only thing I could think to compare.
It really pisses me off when people are like oh no that poor dog needs a op but we can't afford it so let's do the "right" things and put him down.

I've heard of so many people waiting to die, so off their faces on drugs because in so much pain and somehow that's ok!
To me like you it's not ok and the law needs to be changed to reflect this.

For people who think its not right to be assisted in dying, I really wonder if they would feel the same if it was them or someone they loved lying in that bad trapped in their own body knowing everything that's going on around but no being able to do anything....god it would be horrible

I totally agree with you particularly on the last bit hun. Our society has some strange taboos :/

xx

Days later and I still can't come up with a conclusive answer. So far, I am leaning toward a "no" - we are not just our human bodies, we are our souls..so don't think life should end purely because our bodies have effectively shut down.

Although conversely, one could argue that if indeed we are our souls, and our human bodies have packed up, then there is no need to be on earth anymore, and we should therefore do what we can to exit.

I think in this particular case it would be a very fair and right thing to allow this man the right to end his life. He is of sound mind, and capable of making this decision with all the facts at his disposal.

However, I think, as always with this subject, that the wider picture has to be considered. If he were allowed to do this, and doctors were allowed to end his life, it would set a precedent, and it could lead to a much wider problem right across the country. If this man is allowed to do this, the line could become blurry, and I really don't think the law could ever cover this issue in all its minutiae, which would lead to mistakes, lawsuits and potential malpractice.

The only thing I would add here though is the fact that doctors can issue a 'do not rescuscitate' note onto a hospital patient's notes, meaning that should that person go into cardiac arrest, they will not attempt CPR or try to save their life, they will let them die. If they can do that, for the reasons they do that, why is it so different?

I think he should be allowed to die, with future cases being heard on individual cases to prevent abuse of the system.

I feel soo sorry for this poor man :(

I think he should be allowed to die, with future cases being heard on individual cases to prevent abuse of the system.

Absolutely.

I don't really accept the argument that doing the right thing by this guy would mean abuse of the system in the future :/

Absolutely.

I don't really accept the argument that doing the right thing by this guy would mean abuse of the system in the future :/

I agree, it's it like letting this man die would then mean they suddenly let everyone top themselves for any old reason.
In the clinic people go to to die respectfully, they have to "pass" many tests to make sure it is the right thing to do.

I think he should be allowed to die it must be so awful for him.

I don't believe in the sanctity of life stuff. I think the sadness surrounding death is primarily in that their loved ones will suffer. I don't think it is a sadness for the person themselves who is unaware of their own death. If somebody wants to die them of course they should be allowed if it is for the greater good. Surely his family would not want to see him in pain either, so he is hurting nobody by dying.

im athiest, i dont beleive in the soul and i believe we are just a series of lucky chemical reactions. so for that i think that suicide as a crime is a christian belief and it should not be a crime. In certain situations such as this one suicide should be assisted.

you should watch the movie Diving Bell and The Butterfly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->