What would you do? Need some advice?

baby_mama87

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Im getting myself all worked up about my work situation and hope some ladies can help me make a decision.

So i have worked for my current company for 5 years. I've had some rough times with them when I first started out they basically promoted me gave me no training in my new role they then demoted me and decided I would work along side my boss as her assistant and a recruiter. Fast forward a couple of years and I've taken on a heavy workload and also hold training inductions for one of our clients. I don't mind doing the work I do but feel that I'm not fairly paid or acknowledged. It took four years for a pay rise from minimum wage and I now only earn £6.50ph. The bugbear is this when I left for
Maternity leave them employed a younger girl to take over my job and agreed I would come back as an administrator which was fine by me I wanted to go to work do my job and come home to LO without stress. Only problem is they have decided this girl isnt good enough so want me to come back ad do my old job part time. I did 3 kit days in July and found out from another colleague this girl is being paid £1000 more a year than me (obviously I'm not meant to know this so don't want to kick up a fuss and get my colleague into trouble)

The other issue is my boss has txt me twice and rang to ask when I'm going back as they miss me want me back blah blah. I know that she wants me to go back in nov so she can go on holiday I said to her I will cover them
Days for her but not sure when il be back. I told OH and he has gone mad telling me not to go back as they are not treating me fairly etc.

The only thing is I feel very loyal to this company and feel almost scared to stand up and say something I know that sounds really stupid! So my options are

Hand my notice in December do one months notice which I will still be on maternity.

Go back part time and look for another job. I'm studying for my cipd in HR on Monday's so will be looking for something in this field when I'm qualified.

So sorry for my long boring post but if you have managed to read this far please give me some advice! :flower:

Xx

First question:
Do you need to work?

Second question:
How do you feel about bluffing a little? If you think you have the upper hand in this situation (and also don't mind leaving the company), you can tell them that you received an offer from another company but you'd like to stay at this company. If they are willing to match whatever pay you tell them, you stay. If not, then you leave and look for something else. This is risky and I'd only do if you don't mind leaving the company.

Of course the easier option is to just out right ask for a raise. :)

It seems that worldwide the one thing people can agree on is that as an employee, we feel we are not being paid or treated fairly. Your boss and company may be the nicest people in the world, but they are still a business trying to make money. If they can get you to work for cheap, they will (and they rarely offer raises without you asking for one).

I for one feel that I am being paid much lower than I should (and I also have been shown proof that I am as well). But I need my job and I did ask for a raise, which I was given 1.5%...oh boy...yay... Until I can find a better paying job, I'll be sticking it out here.

Thanks for replying! OH is on a well paid contract at the moment were not sure how long for though but i know we would get by if we were both out of work for a little while. Thing is I probably would ask for a payrise if I wasn't returning from maternity. I don't know what to do at the minute, what my OH said is right if I go back il never leave, it's almost as if you feel guilty for it.

Xxx

Whether you are returning from maternity or not, if you have a bigger role, you deserve a bigger wage.

xx

Thanks ladies! I had a chat with my mum who made me realise it will be really difficult to find something else being out of work for almost a year and I still want a career so LO can have nice things so I guess il have to suck it up and go back in jan until I get something else!

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->