What would you take/eat at a picnic?

Daisydog

Reaction score
I need your advice ladies! I've got a hen do at the weekend that involves a picnic by the canal, while I know what I shouldn't eat I'm really struggling to think what can I take/eat?? Other than keeping them in a cold pack I don't think things will be refrigerated.

Really don't want to just eat bread, crisps and chocolate or go hungry :nope:

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!

I think in a cold pack things would be fine, I like things like cold pasta/cold potato salad - don't really know if we should be eating things like that but I do! Oh and cherry tomatoes are a must for a picnic! Struggling to think of anything else, I love a bit of french stick with some philadelphia, yummmmmmy! Hope the weathers nice this weekend then xx

Sandwiches/Pittas/Wraps
Sausage rolls
Pasta salad
Fruit/Fruit salad
Crisps
Carrot sticks and houmous (mmmmmmm my fave!)
Philidelphia/cheese and crackers
Cherry toms
Bread sticks and dips
Cakes/Biscuits

Shove it all in a cool bag with ice packs and it will be just fine :) I just went camping and our milk stayed icey cold all weekend.

I went for a picnic with family the other day and had sandwiches that had been kept in a coolbox - they were absolutely fine. I've also been eating shop bought coleslaw, pasta salad and potato salad throughout pregnancy - no one has said that these are a no go area. Have fun!

Chilli Heatwave Dorito's with dip - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Make this Ritz Cracker dip! So delicious I promise you will be addicted!!!

World's Best Bacon Cheese Dip

Ingredients
4 slices bacon
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup mayonnaise
8 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
2 green onions, finely chopped
4 buttery round crackers, crushed

Directions
1.Place bacon in a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
2.In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese with mayonnaise until smooth. Stir in Swiss cheese, onions, and bacon. Place bowl in microwave, and cook 2 minutes. Remove, and stir well. Return to microwave, and cook 2 to 4 minutes more. Sprinkle crushed crackers on top. Serve warm with crackers.

https://allrecipes.com/Recipe/worlds-best-bacon-cheese-dip/Detail.aspx

Thanks ladies! I feel much better now that I know I won't be starving all day and I'll give that recipe a go :thumbup:

If you are concerned about spoilage, sour cream or plain yogurt can be substituted for mayonnaise in many recipes without ruining the flavor and last longer without refrigeration. You also might try a layered bean dip with chips. I use refried beans, sour cream, avocado/guacamole, fresh salsa or chopped tomatoes, sliced olives, and shredded cheese in mine. If you are worried about more protein, use seasoned ground meat as the bottom layer. Make it in a container with a lid that fits in your cooler.

How about some assorted cheese cubes, fruit (maybe some berries and melon balls), and fresh veggies (maybe celery, carrots, cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes).

Those are things I'd want to eat at a picnic.

We had a picnic the other day and took:

Reduced-fat Hoummus,
Hot Cooked Chicken (was warm by the time we ate, but still lush),
Multi-Seed crusty french baguette,
Taramasalata,
Olives,
Mixed Salad & Crudites
Fruit & Sugar-free Jello.

Seriously, it was LUSH! (*drools*!) :thumbup:

When we go on picnics or go to the drive-in movies, we like to take fried chicken. It's good cold, or you can wrap it when it's really hot in aluminum foil and it'll still be warm when you eat.

Some other ideas are:
Sandwiches
pasta salad (mayo free)
popcorn
pretzels and dip
chex mix (home made or store-bought)
trail mix
soup in a thermos

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts