Whats a sweep?

sailorsgirl

Family of 5
Reaction score
Sorry Im just curious, Ive only heard about this on these forums and I have no idea what it actually is? What it involves, why some people need it and what it means? Can someone explain for me? xx

a sweep is where the midwife inserts one finger into your cervix (if possible) and "sweep" it round in a circle like a clock action.....this then should send signals to the brain to release hormones that induce labour, my daughter was born 46 mins after on of these lol

It's when a Midwife or Doctor sweeps their finger around the cervix. It's suppose to seperate the membranes around the baby to release the hormone prostaglandins to start labor. However, it doesn't always work.

It's when a Midwife or Doctor sweeps their finger around the cervix. It's suppose to seperate the membranes around the baby to release the hormone prostaglandins to start labor. However, it doesn't always work.

Correct it doesn't always work - if it's going to it will cause changes within 48 hours.

^^ What the ladies said, sometimes it's successful, sometimes it's not, for me I had my sweep at 12PM Friday, things kicked off Saturday night around 1130PM, she was born following morning at 8AM, so for me it was a success.
___XO

i had a sweep on the friday morning and my labour started sunday early hours but whether or not it would have anyway.... who knows haha

someone told me before i had mine it was the most painful thing ever but it wasnt at all! i was preparing myself for it and the Dr said "right thats that done." and she'd already done it!

Its like the other ladies said. Erin was born 2 days later :) I was told its more comfortable if you put your hand under your hips to lift yourself up a bit. Its true!

its no worse than a smear test, in fact i found it quicker and less uncomfortable than a smear test

with my darling #3 who was 2 weeks overdue i had a total of 5 sweeps and several that i did myself... i think they can work if you are ready, but then in which case the chances are you would have gone intio labour without one iykwim?!!

They aren't painful, they feel similar to having swabs/smear done

Hi I am 39+6 and i have just had my sweep. it didn’t hurt i found having a smear more painful. I only had it 1 hour ago so cant comment on if it has any painful side effects (other than labour) hopefully baby will be here by the end of the weekend. I was told its more comfortable if you put your hand under your hips to lift yourself up a bit. Its true!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->