What's good for really bad heartburn/acid reflux?

rebeccalouise

Reaction score
I'm being kept awake at night with terrible heartburn/acid reflux, it's horrendous! :( I drink gaviscon before bed, but that doesn't seem to be helping very much anymore, it's just getting worse. Does anyone know something that's strong, but pregnancy friendly?

Tia! :)

I have suffered pretty much from the start of this pregnancy and lived on rennies and gaviscon right up until i went to docs last week. He gave me omeprazole. You take one tablet first thing in the morning and strange as it seems, it works all day and night. I was pretty doubtful as i have been sick with all the acid building up but it really works and i can eat and drink anything at any time day or night and be totally fine :happydance:

I swear by remegel. You can buy from most pharmacies x

I drink loads of skimmed milk which seems to help, I put a bit of milkshake powder into it so it tastes nice.

I have bicarbonate of soda in water and make it really strong!

Dont drink milk - it feels good at the time but encourages it later! Dairy generally aggravates it (I know - i didnt know for a long time!)

You can visit the doctor who can prescribe something - likely something like gaviscon before prescribing tablets.

I used to use zantac eventually, its cheap enough to buy in the shops, but check with your GP

Thank you everyone. :) I have a midwife appointment on 5th Jan, so I'll ask her if she can prescribe me something then. Until then, I've got some Rennie tablets and Gaviscon to keep me going! X

I've got ranitidine, which is the active ingredient in zantac, it was helping, but omeprazole is more effective, so I'm hoping to move on to that soon as the ranitidine isn't working like it did!

I've been using tums. My midwife suggested papaya capsules or even getting a papaya fruit today for it so I just picked up a papaya today and will try it tonight :)

I recommend trying a sugar free chewing gum.

When mine is really bad, I pop a Zantac 75 & 2 Tums. On the rare occasion that doesn't work, I drink a vanilla milkshake - stops it right away!

(I see AtomicPink said dairy makes it worse later on, but I haven't had that experience personally....)

I still stand by the milkshake claim, Zantac doesn't work for me at all - so frustrating.

I think it's hit and miss, what works for one person doesn't work for another, when mine was really bad I had to try eating different foods and see what set it off, for me wholemeal bread is really bad, things like apples that I thought would be bad are fine.

My midwife suggested papaya enzymes to me, but I don't find that they help.
The only thing that gives me a bit of relief that I was told is safe is Gaviscon tablets.

get the dr to presecribe you omeprezole (i think thats how you spell it), its amazing. I really suffered till late on with my first pregnancy, this time when it kicked in i went straight drs and she presecribed it and since then its been great. Dont think the midwifes prescribe it, at least they dont in my area.

I have found Nexium to be a lifesaver.

You can buy it off the shelf now and I checked with pharmacist and she said its ok, but like everything, should be used with caution. :flower:

Like you I had it worse at night and I called my doctor and she just sent the prescription into my pharmacy for zantac. I took my first dose this morning and already feel a difference. Good luck

I've been using tums. My midwife suggested papaya capsules or even getting a papaya fruit today for it so I just picked up a papaya today and will try it tonight :)

Curious about the papaya! Let us know how it works out for you :flower:

Curious about the papaya! Let us know how it works out for you :flower:

I did buy a papaya fruit and chopped it up and put it in the refrigerator. It actually has worked well for me! I've heard some say it helps them and say it doesn't but I just have to eat a few cubes and no reflux for me! As far as taste, it isn't bad but I might try capsules when this is gone :) night time is when heartburn usually hits me so I eat some before bed and don't have any issues with it all night! So I'd say it's worth a shot at least! I prefer it over tums :) a papaya was really really cheap here so not much loss if it wasn't going to work anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->