What's in your birth box/bag?

wigglywoo

Pregnant with #2
Reaction score
I'm having a real mental block about what should go into my birth box/bag (it's a box lined with an Ikea bag as DH complained about having to carry a box if we transfer :dohh:)

So far I have (not a lot!):

TENS machine
Birth plan

In case of transfer:
Breastfeeding nightie

Need to put in:
Cord tie

In case of transfer:
Wrap (for carrying baby)
Toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel/soap, moisturiser)
Nursing bra
Cloth post-partum pads
Pants
Change of clothes

Will also have to grab on way out:

Glasses
Contact lens case and solution
Tooth brush & toothpaste?

Changing bag for baby:

4 prefolds
2 wraps
4 liners
Nappy nippa
4 flannels (wipes)
1 hat
2 bodysuits
2 sleepsuits

Birth pool is in its box ready and waiting with all the bits and bobs needed.

Do I need anything else? :shrug:

Towels! People always mention towels. Lots for home and one for transfer bag.
I haven't started getting anything yet but will be getting shower curtains in case birth pool isn't for me.
Nibbles for transfer bag (more for hubby than you!) and a drink for you ready in the fridge.
A CD or MP3 player if you want music.

^^^ Agreed!

I picked up a shower curtain from Tesco for less than £3. It's only a Tesco Value one but it did the job. Also in Boots they do maternity mats - I bought 2 packs of these and found them a life line! Especially for afterwards when you are bleeding heavy. Even with 2 maternity pads on I still bled through to my sofa!

Hot water bottle? That came in handy when my LO had problems keeping her temperature up! And blankets for the LO!

I'd get a spare toothbrush & toothpaste in case you get transferred and you forget to pick them up on the way out too!

Also I had energy tablets and a bottle of lucozade! They helped with the last little bit. Just keeping that energy up!

I had two seperate things. So I had a bag with the normal hospital items you require. Then a box with everything for home.

Have you seen this too? https://www.homebirth.org.uk/list.htm I found it extremley helpful!

Good Luck!

Also in Boots they do maternity mats

Hot water bottle? That came in handy when my LO had problems keeping her temperature up! And blankets for the LO!

Thank you for the maternity mat info - I was going to look at medical supplies to find something like that (I like the idea of rolling up and disposing!)

And hot water bottle is a great idea as I had heard babies can get colder with a home birth as opposed to hospital. Although my house is always roasting so shouldn't be a problem for baby....
....only a problem for OH who hates the heat :haha:

ooh interesting, il also be doing the box for all my homebirth stuff and a suitcase packed for in case of transfer, box is going to contain, mats, towels, birth plan, cord tie, mat pads, knickers, nightie, and clothes for baby nappy, for hosp transfer jsut the usual things clothes toiletries nighties stuff for baby, i will also have some clothes and slip on shoes on top of box for quick hosp transfer just incase im pretty sure iv not put everything il be puttin in box lol but il have mw over for hoe visit and shel explain everything i should need

ooh interesting, il also be doing the box for all my homebirth stuff and a suitcase packed for in case of transfer, box is going to contain, mats, towels, birth plan, cord tie

Can I ask what a cord tie is? Do the MW's not bring the peg thingys?

a cord tie is just that a cord tie, the mw's do as standard bring clamps with them but some people prefer a more natural tie that will be alot softer if it rubs on baby than the plastic clamp

iv got so far....... plenty of towels, 2 shower curtains, blankets, clothes for baby, nighties for me, plenty of big knickers, maternity towels, bad pads, massage oils, candals, electric fan, mirror, lucozade drinks, nappies, swim shorts for OH,

ive got it all in one box even though most of it doesnt need to be there just so its to hand and nobody has to go rooting through the house to find stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->