What's your favourite nappy for a short and chubby toddler?

minties

Complete
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time getting things to fit right on Sophie.

I don't know how much she weighs right now exactly, somewhere in the 12-12.5kg range (about 26 pounds?). She is on the short side. She carries most of her chub in her thighs and bottom.

I usually use covers and prefolds by the Real Nappy brand. They are compatible to bummis super whisper wraps - I'd go so far as to say pretty much identical.

She's in the crawler size which is 8-14kg. The next size up is too baggy, but this size is getting too small. It seems to look fine from the back, but front looks weird (it gapes open at the belly and the rise doesn't look right) and there are strange marks on her thighs near her groin where the cover seems to be either pinching or cutting into her skin. They are like brown scratch looking marks.

Would the large size mother ease wraps fit better maybe?

I'll try and get some pictures to show what I mean. All her nappies seem to fit oddly right now (22 months). But all the bigger sizes seem to have an excessive rise. Its like she needs something just a bit longer, but with a much wider tab and front for attaching so that it overlaps better.

The problem with the next size up real nappy brand wrap was it would sag down when the prefold was getting wet, which she complained about and it also left big gaps for the pee and poo to fall out of around her thighs.

I did like the look of the close pop-in but at $40 per nappy, there is no way I could justify that price for something that just gets pee'd on. I'm more your $5-$10 per nappy gal. The stretchy tabs look amazing though!

I do love Close Pop-Ins...they are pricey but well worth it, and very absorbent! My absolute fave...and great at night time with the night booster. I do find, though, that the elastics on mine have gone slack fairly quickly but that may be because they are my go-to.

You can get them a bit cheaper if you buy second hand. There is a group on FB (an NZ one) that has them cheaper sometimes, down to $20, $25:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/292074317470700/

My little boy still fits in them, so the sizing is quite good! (he likes to wear cloth at night sometimes as a treat, as he is still a night wetter).

Thanks so much!

I found some Yoyo branded pop-in nappies for $15 (down from $36) each new, so I've ordered a couple to try out. She describes them as being the same as the close parent pop-in ones, they look like the older version. Will see how they go.

I bought some second hand nappies on trademe recently and they were so old and worn, they went straight into the bin. Bit nervous about secondhand stuff right now.

They look good, I've seen them before! I would be interested to know how you find them, if they are good I will get some :)

Oh boo, that is really disappointing :( The page is good, because the sellers are generally very honest and if somebody hasn't been, they get called out! Haha. There's a feedback section so you can make sure the seller isn't gonna try and pull a fast one.

I'll go take a look, I appreciate your replies a lot. Thanks!

Just thought I would update. The yoyo snap in nappies arrived. I can't speak for the inserts as they are still being prepped but they look fine. Thin but the elastic around the larger insert looks cool.

The covers are brushed so they feel nice. They aren't what I would call gusseted, just shaped the middle.

They fit nicely on Sophie. They don't gape open under her belly.

The only thing I noticed different or lacking from my other covers and pockets is the rear wings where the fastening is (I chose velcro) aren't very wide. If you had quite a fat baby or toddler they may not reach around to fasten all that well. Sophie is quite tubby for her length though and they look OK and she says it feels good.

I'm happy for $15 per nappy! They do look a lot better on her than the real nappy crawler covers.

Update! I found the peeerfect nappy cover for Sophie's shape. Thirties original in size large. They are fantastic! Love them.

That's a bit disappointing, sorry to hear they aren't the best! I find the actual pop-ins quite good for my 4yr old, will measure his hips and let you know what size he is. He's fairly slim, but seeing as he's 4 it probably balances out :haha:

Glad you're having success with the Thirsties covers!! :)

That would be handy, thanks :). I like the inserts I have for the yoyo snap-ins but the covers are useless for me. If I thought we might have another baby I would gladly keep and use them as they would fit a smaller or skinnier baby. I'll probably chuck them on trademe.

Stretched right out they are 40cm across the back (including aplix tabs) and 28 cm across the the front. Sophie has a 57cm measurement around her waist/hips where a nappy sits and the tabs just make it onto the front loop strip. But she says it hurts. Taking away the lengths for overlapping parts when fastened and wanted the rear elastic to not dig in, I would say a 54cm waist is about the max these would go on without hurting baby, and they would fit nicely on 52cm and below.

My almost 4 year old has a 54 cm "nappy line" where one would sit on him so I guess that shows how chubby Sophie is around the middle.

Gosh, that turned into an essay! Sorry. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->