What's your first thought when you hear this name?

anneliese

Reaction score
My son has a Greek name that doesn't have an English equivalent, but I want my family to be able to call him something they can pronounce easily, so a shortened version of his name is "Leo". I've had more than one person tell me though that they automatically associate it with Leonardo DiCaprio and for some reason that really annoys me. (I've actually always liked the actor, but for some reason I don't want that to be people's first thought when they hear his name).

So, would you make the same association when hearing the same or something entirely different?

When I hear Leo, that's one of the first couple associations I think. There's also Leo the Lion - astrology-wise and a song that my dad's cousin used to sing to us kids when we were little.

Then there are names that come to mind....

Leonidas
Leon
Leopold
Leonard
Leonardo

Just a few of the thoughts that came to mind...

Have to say Leo DiCaprio didn't spring to mind for me. Would you consider road testing the full Greek name with a family member or two to see how easily they can pronounce it?

I really like it and wouldn't make the association

I don't make that automatic association at all. Leo is a super cute name for a baby! :thumbup:

Leo is super cute. Would never connect it to the movie star, though, as the name is fairly common.

I didn't think of him at all, go with it :) xx

Thanks everyone, I've tried the full Greek version with some family members and none of them get it right lol (it's Leonidas) :haha:

(I was thinking, I wonder if the DiCaprio association would be more common in the US than the UK?)

Coming from the US, Leonardo DiCaprio wasn't my first thought at all! I actually thought of Leo the Lion lol. By the way, love the name Leonidas!

I really like the name :) I didnt think of the actor at all. Go for it if you like it !

It's the first thing I think of....not such a bad thought though ;)

I really like it.

I think lion, and I love the name! However my OH vetoed it when we were naming our son because he thought DiCaprio :shrug:

I don't think abut Mr Titanic - if anything I think Leo the lion which isn't a bad association I don't think strong and powerful, fearless, king etc :flower:

Love the name x

My son is Leo no one has ever mentioned leonardo DiCaprio....Actually a lot of people compliment his name x

I think of Leo the lion, Leo da Vinci and Leo do caprio (all good associations) :)
And I think the more people get to know your sin, the less these associations will come to mind.

Thanks everyone! I feel a lot more confident about using the name now. Now if I could get the Greek family to call him that :wacko: (He has two first names technically, the first one being named after the Greek grandfather and they all call him that instead even though I don't want it!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->