What's your Santa request system

SpringerS

Reaction score
I've been looking through people's lists for their children's Christmas presents and wondering if their children have asked for everything on the list or if most are surprises? I let DS ask for one or two things and a stocking. Then everything else is a surprise.

I tell dc that santa brings 3 things off their list. They can make their list as long as they want but the longer they make it the less likely they are to get what they really want. They usually only put down 4 or 5 things.

They then receive a surprise stocking of things they haven't asked for. Always includes a new book, dvd, & craft set & chocolate.

Lexi has a Christmas list and we pick from that. Stocking is always a surprise and we'll get her some surprise presents. She doesn't get everything off her list we just pick what we think she'll be most interested in

i know it sounds bad but i tend to ignore 50% of their wants because they ask for total crap which i know will be played with once they get lots of surprises which i know they like because i'll hint for a bit.
If they absoloutly have their heart set on something i will get it though.

Santa doesn't bring big gifts here, he just brings the stocking fillers and a maximum of 3 gifts. But there's conditions attached! DS (nearly 5) knows Santa only brings things the elves can make in the workshop so roller skates, scooters, toy cars, footballs, dressing up costumes etc would be OK to ask for, but not TVs, playstations or tablets for example. A pedal bike would be ok but an electric motorbike wouldn't. And no specifics - so if he did ask for a bike he couldn't say "the one I saw in halfords last week" but he could say a red bike or a bike with a bell - the elves have to make it afterall 😉

He knows us and his grandparents also buy him presents (if he's well behaved!) so he has a separate list for that. And obviously if he wanted something specific off that list I'd try to get it. But he understands he doesn't get everything on the list and if he desperately wants something it needs to go at the top! His birthday is three weeks after xmas though so if he's really gutted about not getting something he can get it out of his birthday money.

It's always been a bugbear of mine that some people do huge piles of (or massively expensive) presents from santa and then some kids are left wondering why santa only brought them something small/inexpensive. So we keep it simple. It also means I don't need to use the "Santa won't bring you anything" threat because I can just say I won't get him anything instead lol. And when he finally does realise there's no Santa it won't be such an adjustment or a let down, because Santa was only ever an extra rather than the main present giver, if that makes sense. Which it probably doesn't :rofl:

my eldest only has 2/3 things that she realls wants this year. She likes the surprise element. She has said loads of times 'ohh I want that for Christmas!' when she sees something but has stuck with the same few things for months (she is getting all 3) she already told me that Santa gets you some things on your list, but might not get you everything, but he will bring surprises too that he knows you will like!
Santa brings everything in our house, so she has no idea what he will bring her.

my youngest two just know that Santa brings presents and if they ask for something then he might bring it. They would be happy with anything, and haven't asked for anything in particular.

Santa brings 1 gift. Mum and dad buy all the presents send them to Santa then he delivers them back with 1 present from himself as Santa can only provide 1 present per child, that's why some children receive more than others.

So far they kinda ask for stuf that i have hinted would be good to get but mostly i pick the stuff i know they will like regardless of what they ask for

Santa doesn't bring big gifts here, he just brings the stocking fillers and a maximum of 3 gifts. But there's conditions attached! DS (nearly 5) knows Santa only brings things the elves can make in the workshop so roller skates, scooters, toy cars, footballs, dressing up costumes etc would be OK to ask for, but not TVs, playstations or tablets for example. A pedal bike would be ok but an electric motorbike wouldn't. And no specifics - so if he did ask for a bike he couldn't say "the one I saw in halfords last week" but he could say a red bike or a bike with a bell - the elves have to make it afterall 😉

He knows us and his grandparents also buy him presents (if he's well behaved!) so he has a separate list for that. And obviously if he wanted something specific off that list I'd try to get it. But he understands he doesn't get everything on the list and if he desperately wants something it needs to go at the top! His birthday is three weeks after xmas though so if he's really gutted about not getting something he can get it out of his birthday money.

It's always been a bugbear of mine that some people do huge piles of (or massively expensive) presents from santa and then some kids are left wondering why santa only brought them something small/inexpensive. So we keep it simple. It also means I don't need to use the "Santa won't bring you anything" threat because I can just say I won't get him anything instead lol. And when he finally does realise there's no Santa it won't be such an adjustment or a let down, because Santa was only ever an extra rather than the main present giver, if that makes sense. Which it probably doesn't :rofl:

Completely makes sense [smile].... why should santa get all the credit?

Exactly :rofl:

I'm hoping he'll end up believing longer because I won't need to answer any awkward questions about why there are presents in the shops or why we don't buy him anything when other people do (mean parents lol). A friend of mine does the complete opposite and tells her DD EVERYTHING is from santa, then gets mega stressed trying to afford it all and not blow her cover. I don't want to be around when that lie is blown wide open :rofl:

Mine gets one big main present that she asks for and then a selection of smaller presents.

I'm hoping he'll end up believing longer because I won't need to answer any awkward questions about why there are presents in the shops or why we don't buy him anything when other people do (mean parents lol). A friend of mine does the complete opposite and tells her DD EVERYTHING is from santa, then gets mega stressed trying to afford it all and not blow her cover. I don't want to be around when that lie is blown wide open :rofl:

In my house as a child, everything was from Santa. Not once did any of us question anything and none were upset when we found out Santa wasn't real. I always assumed everybody did it this way until I joined this forum!

In my house as a child, everything was from Santa. Not once did any of us question anything and none were upset when we found out Santa wasn't real. I always assumed everybody did it this way until I joined this forum!

I'd never handle the lying, I'm rubbish at being put on the spot! I think the main thing is choosing one story and sticking to it. I think kids are more switched on now than we were, more TV adverts and the internet etc, and it's not cool to believe in Santa. Christmas also seems much more involved than it used to (elf on the shelf, portable north pole etc) with more opportunities to be found out! DS started school this year and has already come home twice saying some horrible older boys were telling them all santa wasn't real and it's your mum and dad that buy you presents. So I was glad he already knew we bought stuff, made it easier to deflect the questions! He's quite a sceptical child in general so between that and the older boys I worry our Santa time is limited :cry:

I gave DD1 the Smyths catalog which came through the door and she circled things. Then I gave her the Argos book too :haha: The only things she knows are from us are the ones she's accidentally seen.

She came with us to Halfords to pick and buy her bike (so she can try it out), brought it home, left it at the front door and told her that the postman has took it to the plane which takes the presents to Santa. She keeps saying to me "I hope Santa gets me the right bike"... I thought she was smarter than that :haha:

I'm still getting to grips with the Santa lists.
Last year was the first time he did a list, we tried letting him stick and paste what he wanted from the Argos book but we ended up with tons of expensive stuff that you just knew would never be looked at. So plan B we tried again with a max of 3 things which Santa managed and we picked some ideas of the original list to give to grandparents etc. This year we decided to let him put 5 things on the list but really he only wants 3 things and are scratching our heads on extra ideas for grandparents etc.

We do a stocking of stocking fillers from Father Christmas, full of smaller items and mainly surprises. However, Anabella has been asking for the Paw Patrol Pups and an Elsa Dress (with a cape) from Father Christmas, so this year I am tempted to do the stocking and then a couple of bigger presents on the side. All presents under the tree will be from us/family/friends and we will tell her that :)

Basically Thomas circles whatever he wants in the toy catalogue (first year we've done this). Then I just buy whatever I know what he would like. I ignore a lot of his wants because I know it's stuff he will barely use or that he can't actually use. Santa tends to bring everything. I've never thought about it as Thomas has never understood Christmas until now.

TBH my eldest hasn't shown any interest in father Christmas yet (she is 4). I have told her she needs to put things on her list and we will write to him/see him.

Not sure really on presents. Growing up Father Christmas bought them and we slowly realised it was mum/dad.
I'm thinking that the man in red shouldn't get all the credit so maybe he will fill their stockings downstairs and leave their main present at the chimney/tree.
All the bits and bobs I buy can go in a sack that's from Mummy and Daddy and they wake up to that in their room.

I told morgan that because santa has been around for years and year his elves only make wooden toys and teddies etc. and anything else they order from the shops
(he had asked why santa brings toys that you get in shops haha!!) hecseemed to buy it.
I also told him that parents send money to santa to pay for the things so thats why we can't get things that cost toooo much
(sorry mate no nerf gun go kart for you :haha: )

It was the same for me growing up, and I didn't realize so many people did things differently until joining here. I loved the way it was for me and so I do the same for daughter. Everything on Christmas morning is from Santa. I buy her one gift she can open Christmas Eve. She gets other gifts from family.

Thinking about it with an adult's brain it does seem strange that I never questioned why my parents didn't buy me anything, but I didn't. Never thought a thing about it. And with kids at school, I remember us talking a bit about what we got or our favorite thing, but never about who bought it for us. I dread when someone spoils it for daughter. I hated when I found out Santa wasn't real. I missed it.

oops, I totally forgot the original question! My daughter will sit with me at the computer looking at toys on Amazon and she points to every single one of them and says she wants it. So basically, I try to buy her what I know/hope she'll like and don't pay much attention to what she says she wants unless she repeats it over a period of time. This year, she saw the DocMcStuffins care cart and has said repeatedly that she wants it, so I did buy it. T She knows that Santa doesn't bring everything she wants or asks for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->