When can you give babies water?

S

Serene123

Some people say it will do her no harm to have it from birth, others say 3 months, and some say 6 months! I think she's eating so much because it's so dry in my room, her lips get quite dried out. Should I give her water or just keep feeding her when she wants it?

i gave brendan cool boiled water from birth, he had constipation quite a lot and that helped him, i dont see how it will hurt they have boiled water in tehre bottles anyway

I started a few weeks ago giving Pierre water, but before that he was only having breast milk. Now he has more formula that breast milk so I think he needs it at times. Anyway he drinks his bath water!!!! :dohh:

He only usually drinks 3 or 4oz. TBH I let him have as much water as he wants because it won't hurt him and it will just pass straight through. He only has one or two bottles a day though.

He only drinks it if it's warm but thats a bad habit to get into. He's also only liking it with sugar in atm too because he's had sugar water to help with his colic and constipation.

She's not constipated and I'm pretty sure she doesn't have colic but her mouth is so dry all the time!

I would ask your HV. The doctor and the visiting nurse said to wait because of the kidneys and livers not being ready for it. I did give him 2 oz of water when he was constipated and he was fine, but only because of that

I've heard that it's not wise to give very young babies too much water, because their body's electrolytes can very quickly be thrown out of balance by it (partly because they're just small, and partly because their bodies are still developing the ability to regulate). When my son was just about two months old, we went to Australia for a holiday in the height of summer, and I was worried about him getting dehydrated. I was advised by the doctor to feed more frequently if it appeared that he was thirsty, instead of giving him lots of water (I was breastfeeding).

I think as babies get older you can give them more water, but I'd be looking for the advice of a doctor or nurse about this.

Jack needs a thirst quencher when it's hot, just like we would. Hv said it's fine from birth once it's been boiled and cooled. He only has 10-20ml at a time.

I would ask your HV. The doctor and the visiting nurse said to wait because of the kidneys and livers not being ready for it. I did give him 2 oz of water when he was constipated and he was fine, but only because of that

It's really strange that they'd think that (not doubting you though) because like Charlie said they have it in their bottles. Thats even more for them to process. Also they drink amniotic fluid which is pretty much just water and when they're newborn you can put them under water and they'll let the water flow freely into their stomach which obviously then just gets pee'd out.

Again its one of those things that has mixed views. I was always led to believe that milk is all they need for 6 months. If they're thirsty feed them more milk. Water can flood the kidneys of a baby, so with my baby having 'potential' kidney problems anyway I wouldnt risk it. Its different if you're weaning then they need little drinks. Alternatively if you think Caitlyns mouth is dry you can use a little sterile mouth sponge to wet her mouth and lips and clean inside her mouth. We done this in neonatal but I have no idea where you'd get those little mouth sponges from.

I would feed her more Toria, shes only a newborn and they will eat alot for a fair few weeks. Katie would easily have 10 feeds a day for the first month or 2, but it does get easier.

We got told at an ante natal class that its ok from birth and that bottlefed babies need it more. Up to you though :)

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->