When can you stop worrying...

A

AppleBlossom

about SIDs? A few people have said once they are past the 6 month mark, obviously it's still a possibility but it is much less likely?

TBH I don't know the statistics and I don't really want to know, but I did start to ease up worrying from 6 months. That said I still like to go in every night as I go to bed just to check and watch them sleeping. Awww. :D

I dont know nor want to find out but i still check on Carly who is three if she is still breathing!

this is one thing that does worry me , im getting better but there was one point when i used to jump out of bed every night 5 or 6 times , just to check on jack & he is my 4th . xx

They say for girls its 6 months
and boys its 4 months ..

But is till have the sensor pad on and ill have it own till he is in his crib

I always check her before I go to bed and I keep the monitor next to me. If she makes a noise I jump out and go and check on her to find that she was just turning over :dohh: I suppose it's natural to be worried if there's even only the slightest risk

there was a baby in our town that recently died of sids at 7 months. :(

we check on Hannah a couple of times a night although we can hear her breathing through the monitor which is quite reassuring

I know of a lady who, very recently..christmas eve to be exact lost her 4 year old son to SIDs :( theres a slim chance till the age of 7 if I remember correctly.

It is something that can happen at any age really. I used to work with someone who died while sleeping at the age of 24 (extremely rare but it does happen). As parents we are going to always worry about something happening to our kids for as long as we live.

I think we will all worry about them for the rest of their lives. I check Bethanie's breathing all the time and sometimes wake up suddenly in the night and can't go back to sleep until I know shes ok - shes 2 and 2 months!

I try not to stress or worry too much... One off the HUGE factors of SIDS is smoking around the child, or being a mum and smoking while your pregnant. As well children with breathing problems (astha etc) are at more of a risk too.

I read somewhere that the risk is at the highest between 2-4 months and drops considerably after 6 months

I even check her when she falls asleep in the car!! I can't help myself.. I'm less weary now though.

Grace is such a noisy sleeper though so I don't need to check her so often cause I can hear her :)

I googled SIDS and here is a little bit of what i found.

Most deaths due to SIDS occur between 2 and 4 months of age, and incidence increases during cold weather. African-American infants are twice as likely and Native American infants are about three times more likely to die of SIDS than caucasian infants. More boys than girls fall victim to SIDS.

Other potential risk factors include:

smoking, drinking, or drug use during pregnancy
poor prenatal care
prematurity or low birth-weight
mothers younger than 20
tobacco smoke exposure following birth
overheating from excessive sleepwear and bedding
stomach sleeping

Stomach Sleeping
Foremost among these risk factors is stomach sleeping. Numerous studies have found a higher incidence of SIDS among babies placed on their stomachs to sleep than among those sleeping on their backs or sides. Some researchers have hypothesized that stomach sleeping puts pressure on a child's jaw, therefore narrowing the airway and hampering breathing.

My son is 7 months and SIDS is my biggest fear. I'm always checking him to make sure he is breathing and comfortable (not too hot or too cold). I guess that is why I still don't have him in his crib. He still sleeps in the his pack n play in our room next to our bed (within arms reach). :blush: I just worry about my baby boy. Peyton is the best thing that has ever happened to me and my OH.

Are you a colts fan? Jasmine was going to be Peyton if she was a boy :) Can you guess who my ohs fave qb is??? LOL

I am terrified about putting Niamh into her own room. Really not looking forward to it. I have a sensor pad and monitor, but I will still worry loads.

There was a boy in my school who died of a foprm of SIDS when he was 18 but I bet thats really really slim.

I still worry now, I think I get far less sleep on the nights he sleeps through that the nights he wakes up a few times lol

xxx

Are you a colts fan? Jasmine was going to be Peyton if she was a boy :) Can you guess who my ohs fave qb is??? LOL

Oh, no, lol!!! We try to support the Chiefs (but it's pretty much worthless :rofl:) We just liked the name Peyton and it's one we both agreed on. By the way, Jasmine is such a pretty name.

i was watching super nanny tonight and it the lady had lost her second son to cot death at 11 months im super paranoid tonight now i still check on my little boy and his 3 na half i think us parents will spend the rest of our lives worrying about them for one reason or another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->