when can you tell if a preemie will be ok?

Olivias_mum

Reaction score
hiya i was just wonderin when you can generally tell if a premature baby will be survive and come home?my daughter was born on 15th december 09. She was 29 weeks gestation and weighed 2lb 11. Ventilated for 8 days then cpap for four weeks and now low flow nanasl cannula shes drifting between 0.01L/min and air.Shes establishing oral feeds and is on alternate bottle/tube. She is now 36 weeks gestational age. Do you know at what point it is likely a baby will survive?or is it when they are discharged from nicu?sorry if im not makeing much sense!!xxx

I dont think anyone can tell you the answer for sure, all babies are different, but being that she is 36 weeks gestation sounds like she is a strong fighter, and that you might be able to bring you little one home soon.

I think BB is correct. You cant say for sure what will happen.

My girls were also 29 weekers and we home at 34 weeks gestation. They were pretty good weights and werent on C-Pap or ventilated for very long, Maximum of a few days!

There was another set of twins born at 33 weeks and they came home at 38 weeks gestation. Think it all depends on the baby hun.

Think its good to ask though. and your baby might be ready to come home soon x

My mum had me at 29 weeks and says I was home only a few weeks later.

I had my baby at 27 weeks and she was home a week before the due date.

No-one can say what will happen for sure, but sounds like your baby is doing brill! My Alex was on about 0.07 of oxygen at that point!

I had Andrew at 29 weeks, and he came home two days after his original due date.

Our unit had criteria for a baby being okay to come home - a weight of 2kg, air breathing established (or home O2 fitted), and over 24hrs feeding without the tube.

Its amazing how they are all different. The twins werent even near 5lb which I was told they would need to be before they were allowed home.

They were still in the 3 and 4lb mark x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->