When did you buy babys first shoes?

NicolaH123

Reaction score
Hi, I'm posting this in the toddler thread as baby forum are mostly newborns. But anyway, my son is 10 months old and is cruising around the furniture and walks holding on to my hands etc. but he is not yet walking alone. Does he need proper shoes yet? My family are keep telling me he needs proper shoes to support his feet and he will walk if he had them. But I thought they didn't need proper shoes until they could actually walk confidently. When did you buy your little ones their first proper shoes?

My LO took her first steps at 10.5 months and I got her some shoes almost straight after but she didn't really want to walk outside at that point anyway and found it much more difficult in shoes (soft rubber sole cruisers that were measured for her). Although I did let her walk around coffee shops and occasionally in the shopping centre at that age I've only just started taking her out to the local shop without her pushchair and she's now 15 months. Given the fact that were coming into winter now and it's going to be wet and icy I'd hold off and just get some soft shoes to keep his feet warm. Babies are supposed to be fitted every 6-8 weeks so by the time he was walking confidently he'd already be in a different size aswell. IMO best to see how it goes and how quickly he finds his balance, it can take a while longer than you think.

Your LO doesn't NEED shoes yet. The best way to learn to walk is barefoot. I'd wait until he is walking independently to get his first proper pair of shoes. Saying that, I have got my LO her first pair even though she's only cruising, mostly to keep her feet more warm when we are out as she pulls her socks off, and for if she wants to walk holding our hand when we're outdoors. But most of the time she is barefoot to encourage learning to walk.

Lucas can't walk yet so doesn't have any but I won't be getting him any til he's walking fairly confidently and we can take him for a wander outside x

Oh thought I'd add after reading the comment above - we have pram shoes but obviously they're not necessary. Just give extra warmth when out and about and look cute lol.

My lo is 11 months and walking small lengths unassisted. We have him in soft soled Robeez at the moment. When he's more confidently and walks as his main way of getting around I will take him to Clark's or Stride Rite for a proper fitting for a flexible sole shoe. It's better for their development to be in soft soled in the beginning- they learn to use their foot muscles. Hard shoes just support them so they don't have to do any of the work. I was a professional dancer and we always did a lot of our work barefoot as it allowed us to use our feet better and build more strength. I hope that helps!

She started cruising about 8/9 months and walking 12 months.

I bought her first shoes around 13 months

My LO started walking on his own at 10 months, I bought him some shoes when he could walk the length of the room, still only cruisers though, as he walks everywhere now and doesn't crawl at all I just bought him his first pair of proper shoes at 12 months.

Maybe 9/10 months (cruisers). He only wore them outside, he wanted to walk from about 9 months holding our hands, I didn't want him walking outside in just socks. He didn't get proper hard sole shoes till he was about a year.

A few weeks after they started walking

Leah and jack were just around the year old mark when they walked, so shoes about 13/14 months

Lana didn't walk until 16 months so maybe 17 months for shoes I can't remember exactly

My son started walking at 12 months and we bought him some pre-walker shoes from clarks about 4 weeks after. you are supposed to wait around 6 week after they start so they walk confidently. But depends what they are for. My son only wears his for short walks or playing outside at nursery.

I wouldn't bother if your little one is only cruising and they won't be doing it outside in this weather!

Babies do not need shoes to 'support' their feet. They need to learn to walk barefoot, shoes are not necessary until they are walking around outdoors regularly. Also want to add that shoes will not make your baby walk sooner! Not sure where people get this stuff from!

My LO started walking at 11 months, but he was cruising and walking holding our hands for two months before that. He got his first shoes for his birthday from his grandma, he still has just the one pair and he only wears them outside.

about a month after she started walking when we started going outside to walk

I would wait until LO is walking confidently as walking barefoot is the best way to learn to walk, and it's good for them to be able to feel the ground with their actual feet. We got the first shoes a few weeks after she started walking.

At just under a year old as she had been walking since she was 10 months

Your LO doesn't NEED shoes yet. The best way to learn to walk is barefoot. I'd wait until he is walking independently to get his first proper pair of shoes. Saying that, I have got my LO her first pair even though she's only cruising, mostly to keep her feet more warm when we are out as she pulls her socks off, and for if she wants to walk holding our hand when we're outdoors. But most of the time she is barefoot to encourage learning to walk.

I agree with this.

Daniel starting walking independently at 11months but he didn't get shoes until he was 13 months old.
Esther started walking independently at 18 months and she got her first shoes at 22/23 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->