• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When did you hold your baby after birth?

Dinah93

Happy mum to two preemies
Reaction score
My DD was born 28+0 and I didn't get to hold her until day 13. My DS is now 28+1 and I have significant resistance in the umbilical cord, to the extent they've given the first dose of steroids today. I'm just wondering when other mums got to hold their little ones, and how long he would have to hold on for for me to hold him in the first few days or even minutes after his birth.

Alex was about a week, I'm actually unsure! She was born 27+4, but given her good weight this might have helped

LO was born at 26+3 and I was able to hold him 5 days after birth.

same here, Emily was born at 26 & 6 weighing 2lbs & it was a very long 12 days before I got to hold her, I'll never forget my excitement when the nurse asked if I wanted to hold her, I nearly kissed that nurse!!

My lo was 25w5d and I held her at 2 days old with umbilical lines. Kangaroo care started at 6 days old.

My daughter was 23 1/2 weeks at birth. I held her for the first time at about 5 days old (she weighed about 1lb 2oz that first cuddle!). Took a lot of work (a respiratory therapist and an nurse) to transfer her, with all her tubes and machines, to my chest but it was so worth it. Kangaroo care is the best!!!

My 28.6 weeker was given to me right after birth to hold for 2 minutes. I didn't hold him again until he was 5 days old. :nope:

My 35 weeker was handed to my husband right after birth and I got to hold him as soon as he was situated in the NICU.

Dinah - my ds was a smallish 33 weeker 3lb11oz. I got to hold him the next day. I imagine it's down to how much equipment is attached to them?

Thanks for all the responses, it seems we were really unlucky with our DD. Hopefully this time will be better.

Anya was born at 23+6, and was 32 days old when I first held her. She was still on the ventilator but was gaining weight well (1lb 7oz at birth and 2lb 3oz at 32 days old) xx

I got to hold my dd on the 3rd day, born at 30 weeks.

I got to hold her for about a minute when she was born and i dont really remember it as i was very out of it. The next time i got to hold her she was 3 weeks old, she still had a ventilator and literally the nurses handed her to me and i barely moved the whole time as she was still recovering from her open heart surgery and i was afraid to hurt her chest or to knck out any of the lines she still had attached. Then the nurses took her back from me . It took two nurses each time to move her and keep the ventilator stable

Thanks for all the responses, it seems we were really unlucky with our DD. Hopefully this time will be better.

I also think it has a lot to do with your hospital, how open they are to the "bonding" idea helping them heal and grow better. I heard of hospitals that insist on "kangaroo care" for preemies and then I've heard of the hospitals completely opposing the idea. My hospital was somewhat in the middle but I was really pushy and insisted on them letting me feed and hold my son right after birth provided he can breath on his own. He cried right after birth and they gave him to me.

You'll get there hun, I can only imagine how hard it is right now, but keep talking next to him, keep singing to him, keep telling him that you are all there for him. He will be in your arms very soon :hugs:

Well I got my answer fairly quickly - I got to hold him on day 5 this time, he was a lot more stable than his sister was at the same gestation.

I held my 30+3 preemie the day after she was born, briefly. Dad held her when she was 5 days old xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->