• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When did you stop using a stroller?

SarahBear

Reaction score
We only ever used a folding umbrella stroller for our kids. It has lasted both kids; however, it's breaking down. We have hung groceries from the handles and the combo of that and the weight of the kids has squashed the wheels pretty flat. The seat itself is also tearing - both bars have pushed through the end of the fabric. It's still functional, but will be trash when we're through with it. Anyway, when Leo was born, we used the carrier for him and the stroller for Violet. Eventually, she grew too big for the stroller and it was easier to put Leo in the stroller instead of the carrier. I don't remember when that happened exactly, but I think there was also a period of time when we didn't go far on foot when there was only one of us with the kids. I have contemplated spending $20 to get a new umbrella stroller. Surely it could be useful long enough to be worth that mere $20. Leo is almost 3. I'm thinking that we probably don't have to make it much more than a year before being done altogether with it. If Violet was using the stroller at 4, I doubt it was too far into that year that she used it... How about for your kids?

This is the stroller that we have:

https://www.toysrus.com/buy/lightwe...ghtweight-stroller-navy-blue-5f63bca-70034336

Aliyah will be 5 in May, and I still use it on occasion. Anytime we go to the mall, she wants me to bring it, and she'll sit in it on and off. When we used it last week, she commented that she probably looked ridiculous because she's so big, yet she wanted to use it. I have the chicco lightways (I think that's what it's called); basically an umbrella stroller. It can lay flat, so I've used it since she was newborn.

Both of mine were out of buggies by 2.5 BUT both of them have used a buggy board (board that attaches to the buggy) until they turned about 3.5
I dont think id be confident not having a buggy at all with an under 3 but maybe just because iv always had a younger baby in one and they can hang off the back. I also dont like carrying bags and when we walk we do go quite far so they get tired. My 4 year old is fine but 3 year old is still a nightmare at times wanting carried

Aliyah will be 5 in May, and I still use it on occasion. Anytime we go to the mall, she wants me to bring it, and she'll sit in it on and off. When we used it last week, she commented that she probably looked ridiculous because she's so big, yet she wanted to use it. I have the chicco lightways (I think that's what it's called); basically an umbrella stroller. It can lay flat, so I've used it since she was newborn.

' she probably looked ridiculous' haha can just imagine a little kid saying that.
If it means for an easier shopping time then why not!

My eldest was 3.5 then used a buggy board and my youngest was 2.5 and walked everywhere from then as she hated not walking.

We stopped with DS1 when he was about 18 months, he loved walking and would walk ridiculously long distances for a one year old. When DS2 was born I carried him in a front pack and DS1 walked, so DS2 has never used the buggy much. I stopped using it much if at all for DS2 before he turned 2, he’s now 2.5 and I think I’ve used it about twice in the last 6 months. I will probably be using it more when DS3 is born next months as DS2 is a bit of a cheeky sod and he will run away down the street - something DS1 never really did. No way I’m chasing a two year old with a newborn in a front pack and a 5 year old trailing behind! :haha: So I’ll wear the baby, put DS2 in the buggy and let me sensible DS1 walk.

I’m surprised by PP saying they had 4/5 year olds in a buggy! I couldn’t convince my 5 year old to get in a buggy for love nor money.

I still take a buggy out with me if I’m doing a long walk although it tends to be my ds2 who has just turned 4 that likes to use it rather than my youngest who is 2 1/2. Over Christmas when we went for really long walks I took my double just in case but it was still only ds2 who used it. I guess each child is different and it depends on how much walking you’re actually going to do

I would say we stopped using it for day to day things around 3 probably. But we have a family business that means we work at a lot of summer festivals and I used it up until probably just past 4 for that. Trying to coax a 4 year old to walk like half a mile through a festival while you are carrying stock or lunch is no fun. Also, though she stopped sleeping just past 2, sometimes she would sleep those days when we were working just because it was so overstimulating and exhausting and the pushchair was a good place for that (we had one of those big off road buggies though). At close to 3 though, no I wouldn't bother replacing it if you don't plan to have more.

At 2/2.5. We go for alot of walks and all have all been able to walk for a good few miles by that age.

dd1 was 2.5 (when dd2 was born and we never got a double or a buggy board)
dd2 was 3 and a bit (that's when I stopped using the double buggy) She would probably still go in a buggy now if she had the choice though, she can be quite lazy lol.
Dd3 hasn't been in a buggy for about 5 months, so a bit before turning 3. She got ill before Christmas and I borrowed a buggy for a few days for the school run and I can honestly say I don't miss it one bit!

With DD we stopped when she was 4. We still use one for DS who is 2, but he uses it a lot less than DD used to at the same age.

I think kids keep using it as long as the parent does. Once you stop they get much better at walking.

Probably 4-5 with the older ones, though they didn't use it all the time. I don't like dawdling! If we walk somewhere, it is a long brisk walk.

Before 2. She always wanted to walk and we never really went too far on foot anyway. If we were going somewhere too far for her to walk we would drive.

Saying that, we took a buggy to centre parcs when she had just turned 3 and she loved it. Think it was a bit of a novelty.

With this baby, i fully expect to use a pram/buggy for longer as i am going to try and drive less and essentially be less lazy :haha:

We are still using ours and I suspect we will for a long time yet. From our house you have to walk 1 km on a road without a shoulder before getting to a sidewalk, so the rule is Isla has to stay in the stroller until we get to the sidewalk, then she can get out and walk. So I imagine we will use it for several more years just for safety sake when walking into town. I also like to have it with us for when we pick up groceries, take a picnic with us, etc. It's usually loaded down with stuff! We can also use it as a jogging stroller, bike trailer, and ski trailer, so even once the kids are too old for needing it when we go for walks we will still have it for those other uses.

I'm terrible. Don't even know why we bought one. We used a stroller when DD was born until she was 4 months. Then it was winter and we used it a bit at the mall. Spring came and I bought a really nice carrier and we did that until she could walk. And then never again lol. She either walks, goes in the carrier or the cart. But most of the time she wants to walk. It's exhausting sometimes because she's either slow and dawdles or she runs and I work to teach her not to go far. But I just hate having to navigate around with that huge thing and it's such a pain to me!

Gracie hates anything restrictive, she was probably about 15-16 months when we stopped using the buggy regularly. We switched to a push along trike which we used until she was around 2. Now, she just walks everywhere, even on long walks.

There is no way on earth I’d be pushing around a school aged kid unless they had some sort of medical reason to need a buggy. It’s such a pain in the butt to use a buggy.

The only time I miss it is when we have lots of shopping, but that’s what the fiancé is for, lol.

We only used one for a few weeks until I got a carrier. She didn't like it, and it was a pain. But I still see people using strollers for children who are 5 or 6 at the drop-off/pick-up.

Gracie hates anything restrictive, she was probably about 15-16 months when we stopped using the buggy regularly. We switched to a push along trike which we used until she was around 2. Now, she just walks everywhere, even on long walks.

There is no way on earth I’d be pushing around a school aged kid unless they had some sort of medical reason to need a buggy. It’s such a pain in the butt to use a buggy.

The only time I miss it is when we have lots of shopping, but that’s what the fiancé is for, lol.

School age can mean something different defending on what country you are in. And if you're walking around New Zealand in summer, you better hope it isn't a long walk! Though our temps don't get too high, we have very high humidity and the ozone layer isn't too healthy above us. So easy to get heat stroke and sunburn. It was always easier for me as a heavily pregnant person with a school kid and preschooler, and no car, with 10km+ of walking to do in the summer sun, to have Sophie in the stroller with a UV protectant sun cover on. That mad would go on the bugger board often also.

I have zero shame. The stroller I have to s a big one meant to fit 5 year olds easily, a pre 2010 mountain buggy, no one ever gave a shit.

Also had to carry school gear, and drinks bottles, any shopping we did on the way etc.

Im surprised people find it so much of a hassle i will be lost the day i dont have one. Iv been pushing a buggy everyday (give or take a day or two) for 4.5 years now and i dont even think id know what to do without one.
Mum can i take this stone home - yes shove it under the buggy.
-Omg my kid is in early potty training stages but my other kid needs out the house - no bother take potty discreetly in the basket part. (For emergancies of course)
- my kid is sick but the other once needs to go to nursery - buggy

Maybe it is different if you have one child but there wasnt a long period in time that i did just have one.

Its like a swiss army knife

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->