When did your doctor/midwife tell you to phone/go to hospital?

Moraine

Mom to a cutie pie!
Reaction score
My midwife told me not to phone her until my contractions are 3/1/1, meaning three minutes apart, lasting one minute, for at least an hour.

Doesn't that sound like it's cutting it a little close? Or is that the norm? Maybe it's because I'm having a home birth and they don't want to hang around all day? Just wondering what others have been told.

Hiya I'm not having a home birth-but we were told when your contractions were less than 5 mins apart and lasting for more than a minute then you should go to hospital. x

I dont care how far apart my contractions are, when they hit 5 mins and im in pain im GOING to the hospital, or even if their every 10 mins and im in too much pain im going in, not taking any chances!

I think my MW said something like 5mins apart lasting 1 minute. Or before that if you cant handle the pain.

She also said if my waters go but dont have any contractions, I shoud still let her know because if contractions dont start within 24hours after they will set labour off for you because they dont like to leave you once your waters have gone because may cause infections.

i've got to go as soon as my waters breakcos i've got groupb strep and need to be on an antibiotic drip

Ooh - that does sound close doesn't it?!! Is there anyone else you can phone for some advice?

LOL does sound a bit close, when the time comes i think i'll end up in there long before that!!

sounds a bit close to me..i havent asked my midwife this yet but im having my homebirth visit soon so ill ask her then! Ive always heard 5/1/1...?

I was told once they are every 5 mins, or when I can't handle the pain anymore, and need some drugs!
x

My midwife told me not to phone her until my contractions are 3/1/1, meaning three minutes apart, lasting one minute, for at least an hour.

Doesn't that sound like it's cutting it a little close? Or is that the norm? Maybe it's because I'm having a home birth and they don't want to hang around all day? Just wondering what others have been told.

This is what the midwife told us at the parenting class's last week, i thought that was cutting it fine!!! Bit scary!!

I was told to call if:
-contractions were 5/1/1
-waters had broke
-couldn't cope with pain
I'm having a hospital birth though so maybe it's different for homebirths.

I'm going when i cant bear the pain anymore at home

I called as soon as i knew i was in labour so that they knew that i would prob be in a few hours later, they then took all the details they needed to take and advised me then when i should come in, told me just to give them a quick call before i left so they would be ready for me.

If your not sure i definatly advise ringin them when your in labour so they can offer advise x

I was told the same and I'm having a home-birth too. From past experience I know that it's gunna take a long time and don't want my poor MW hanging around twidding her thumbs!

Thanks for the replies everyone! I guess it is a bit different for home births. That is a good idea to give them a call before hand though, just so they know to expect it.

I had my home visit yesterday, I'm 38 weeks now and it turns out that his head isn't engaged in my pelvis at all. :( So she recommended daily walks to get him down there. So I guess it will still be a while for me.

i cant remeber what my midwife said, i think i gt distracted lol

but when in doubt i will just phone the maternity unit lol

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"