When did your preemie start latching consistently?

Strike

Reaction score
As the title says.

My LO was born at 32 +5 two weeks ago. The doctors and nurses have told me that I have to try and start breastfeeding her but I have had very little success. I've even tried a nipple shield, which is causing me a whole whack of other emotional issues as well. Obviously the shield somewhat works - I can shove it in her mouth given it's harder than a real nipple, but to try and get her to root on her own wineither the guard or plain nipple is impossible.

Just so frustrated that the staff keep pushing me to try and try and try and I'm not getting anywhere.

So, for those who've had preemies and breastfed, when did they start latching?

She never really did - I pumped to keep supply going and even when she would have been full term she still didn't get the hang of it... then the motor on my breast pump died so I chucked in the towel on that front.

I used a nipple shield as well and weaned her off it when she was about a month actual.

There was times I had to force her to open her mouth in hospital but found as time she got closer to term was routing better

I used a nipple shield as well and weaned her off it when she was about a month actual.

There was times I had to force her to open her mouth in hospital but found as time she got closer to term was routing better

The same as this, but it took me a wee bit longer to get her weaned off the nipple shield - I think she was more like 2 months corrected. x

DS was born at 34+6 & didn't take to the boob, so I expressed & bottle fed but key trying him on the boob. He gradually latched on more easily until one day I forgot the pump, so needed him to feed & miraculously he did!! He was just over 5 weeks old by then- corrected age 1 day! I was determined to take him up to his due date n EBM but was starting to try to reduce my supply to switch to formula- I'm so glad I waited! Now he takes boob or bottle no problem.

It's frustrating & upsetting, & if you want to bottle feed to relieve that stress you should- but I'm glad I didn't give in when I was going to now :)

Set yourself a goal to reach, then don't feel guilty switching to bottle/formula after that if that's what's right for you. A stressed out mummy is no good to anyone- do what feels right.

Xxx

I am so sorry about the stress you are under. I understand they are trying to help but they should give you a break!!! When LO was in the NICU they told me if I bottle fed she'd come home sooner so I decided to pump exclusively.. after she came home we kept bottle feeding but I wanted to BF soooo bad! So at 6 weeks we started seeing lactation and after having to get her tongue tie clipped she now exclusively breast feeds. If it is causing you too much stress maybe try pumping for a while and then when you feel more rested you can give BF a shot.. I know from experience if you are stressed about BF'ing then baby will too. Also if your baby is having latch problems I'd make sure there's not a reason. Scarlett's tongue was tied and was tearing my nipples up because she wasn't latching and couldn't latch properly. After getting it clipped she latched on right away! Best of luck mama! :flower:

I exculsively pumped in the beginning. I have a 32 weeker. My boobs were larger than his head. After 3 weeks in the NICU while having kangaroo time, my son latched on by himself. I had to guide him for the proper suction, :baby:but I guess nature took over. Lucky for me he never had trouble going back and forth from breast to bottle.

Update for everyone.

About 5 days ago she started really taking to the breast! We were on semi demand for a few days and the day before yesterday switched to full demand. My last feed with her she took in 60 ml! Not bad considering that's the max she's taken by bottle so far!

She's got her car seat test this evening and hopefully she will be home tomorrow afternoon! So much to do before she gets here! Haha.

My LO latches on better now my milk has come in, otherwise she was quite lethargic (typical of 35weeks). She latches quite well but often will "fall" off the breast but easily finds her way back. She knew what to do instinctively also, so bear with your LO they might take on instinct. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->