When do I start testing on OPKs? Help!!

ashleyg

Mama to three
Reaction score
I started AF May 9. Usually my periods last about 6 days....when do I start testing for positives on an OPK? I've never actually "TTC" before, since my daughter was a surprise! So I'm totally new to actually trying LOL!

According to online calculators it says I should start testing on May 19.
On the two period calendars on my phone, one says my fertile days are May 16-22 & the other calendar says I'm fertile from May 20-25...So I don't know! Any help is soo appreciated!

Unfortunately calculators are only an estimate. Some women do not ovulate when they should according to the online calculators, and actually end up missing their fertile window. Ovulation can also vary between cycle to cycle, even in those that have normal 28 day cycles. I would suggest starting the day after you stop your period. This will make sure you don't miss your fertile period. Amazon sells opks for cheap. I just bought 100 for $15 to stock up on.

I test once a day until it's close to positive then I switch to twice a day.

I'd test twice a day starting at day 8 if using clear blue, i got a positive in the morning on day 9 but obviously didn't ovulate as I then got a positive at 8pm on day 14 and I did ovulate. I would have missed my proper ovulation time had I not checked that night as it was negative that same morning and had turned back negative the following day.

You could also try temping? It'll help confirm ovulation has happened.
How long are your cycles usually? These online calculators are a rough estimate, they don't know your cycle so it's genuinely a guess! If you have a stereotypical 28 day cycle, I'd test from around CD11 onwards and as previously mentioned when it's getting a little darker and close to a positive test a few times a day. Personally when I am close to a positive I test 3-4 times a day because I have such a short surge. Some women can MISS their surge, therefore believing they haven't ovulated..

Hope this helps x

Have you noticed that you have egg which CM at all in previous cycles? That's how I always know to start using OPKs. I start on the first day I have EWCM, and I usually get my positive on the 3rd or 4th day of using them - but not everyone has that type of CM. If you do, then that's a good starting point!! If not, maybe start OPKs around day 10. The temping is a good idea too, simply because it confirms ovulation. But it's not a good judge as when to start using OPKs, because your temp should spike AFTER ovulation. Hope this is helpful!

I'm going to try the SMEP method (anyone else trying or tried before?) this cycle which says to start testing every day from CD8. I've also read that FMU is not always best. you can buy good OPK online for cheap and test 2-3 x day to be sure.

with some opks such as clearblue you may not recognise a build up to your ovulation time .. I just got one solid smiley face in the evening and it was gone the next day so I'd have missed it had I not tested twice. Also some women can ovulate very early at times .. with my last pregnancy I ovulated on cd 9 so it's worth testing from day 8/9 if you have a 28 day cycle.

This totally all new to me...

I've never paid any attention to my CM before so I have no idea if I get any at all during the time of Ovulation. So if I test twice a day...if I get a dark positive in the morning so I test again later on in the evening? Or would that be the time to have sex? I thought once you have a positive OPK you can have sex any time during the day because that's your fertile day?

Sorry if I'm sounding really dumb but I honestly have no clue! I have the Target brand OPK test strips that l will be testing with. I hope they're good. Clear blue is kind of expensive to use all the time.

Also my period is ending today....so do I start testing tomorrow morning or tonight??

The best time of day to test with OPKs is not first morning urine....but more like 2nd/3rd, around 9 or 10am - the internet cheapies worked for me!! If your AF just ended it might be a little soon to start testing. I would wait until around cycle day 10 or so. And when you get a positive OPK, that means you should ovulate in the next 24-48 hours, and it's best if the little swimmers are there already waiting when you ovulate. So get to baby dancing when you get that positive!:happydance::happydance:Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->