When do you get an indication baby is going to have a small birth weight?

TrixieLox

Reaction score
At our 28 week growth scan, baby was fine and weighing 2 pounds and 13 oz. But the next week, my midwife said she was measuring a little low fundal-height wise (27 at 29 weeks). But that might just be because she's lying oblique so difficult to measure.

But lately, I've had two people say my bump looks small for 30 weeks (thanks guys! I mean, really, why do people say stuff like that?!). So naturally getting a bit paranoid. I have a 32 week growth scan on 9th May so will get a good idea then. But just wondering when you start getting an idea that birth weight may be low? Is it a gradual thing, so could baby measure fine at 28 weeks but small at 32 (so not grown as much?).

I know, I'm getting a bit paranoid. I'm ickle myself (5 foot and petite) so won't be a surprise if she's small, but I want her to be a healthy birth weight.

Fundal height isn't a good indicator at all Hun... I'm measuring 3.5 weeks ahead and on the scan baby was a week shorter and a day smaller than normal ... Which is nothing to worry about but just I have a big belly... I've heard that big belly measurements sometimes have small babies and small measurements have 10 pounders.... Don't stress yourself... They'll do the scan and let ya know how she's
Measuring and I was told anything within a 2 week range of where u are is mormal

Oh I'll also mention I measured normal at my 28week appt and everyone said I looked tiny for ages until 31 weeks when everyone said omg your huge... People are idiots and they have no idea lol just ignor it means nothing

We knew from 22 weeks that Joshua had restricted growth. I didn't develop a bump at all and it was reduced movement that made us first aware. All baby's grow at different paces anyway. She could be a week or two behind at 32 weeks, and of caught up by 34. Fundal height really isn't very accurate. I've been measured 3 times in the past week, once at 29, once at 31, and once at 32, not in that order!! I'm sure everything is fine x

I don't really think there's any sure fire way to measure baby when they're inside. Fundal height can differ greatly, it's more of just a general guideline, but by no means says how many weeks big baby is. Every woman carries differently, so bump size doesn't say anything either. Sme women have huge bumps and small/ avg size babies and its just fluid etc in there. So small bumps don't necessarily mean small tiny babies, ( although I suppose in some cases it can, but I'm just saying not all cases) if your ultrasounds showed a healthy baby who was growing and developing as should be, I wouldn't worry! And just to add, they day before I had my first daughter, they did an ultrasound and estimated her at about 7 1/2 lbs, give or take a 1/2 a pound, and she came out the next day 8 lbs 10 oz! She was a good size. So I don't think they can really know for sure until baby arrives. So don't worry too much, and I hope your baby is a perfect healthy size :)

My fundal height measured right on last time (although people did tell me that I looked small toward the end), and my DD was born 5lbs 7oz at 38+4 weeks, and it wasn't until later that she was diagnosed with Intrauterine Growth Restriction. So I had no clue that she would be small until she was born.

My sister had to go in for a growth scan at 39 weeks because she was measuring small, but at her growth scan, he was measuring roughly 9 lbs!!! He ended up being 8 lbs 13 oz at 40 weeks exactly!! Soo, please please don't worry! That is not a good way to measure. As long as you are gaining/growing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->