When do you move then on to a big car seet?

T

TashaAndBump

Anna is still using her first car seat (out of her travel system), but it is getting harder and harder to do the straps up - on their loosest setting - is she too young for the next stage up car seat, or should I take this to mean that she needs a new car seat (next stage up)??

How old were your babies when you moved them up to a second stage car seat? I have no idea! :blush:

hey hun, i have the graco tour deluxe for when my little one is here and in the instructions it says to move them to a bigger car seat from about 9 months (or sooner if they stop fitting it so well)

hope that helps x

I was told they can go forward facing at 9 months when I asked in Halfords xXx

20-22lbs or 9mo. Although, I have heard it's recommended to wait until the weight, so if they aren't 20lbs at 9mo then wait alittle longer.
Colton went over at 6mo. He was 20lbs and no longer fit in the infant one.
Also, good signs to know if she is ready, are if her head is touching the top of the seat or if her shoulders are above the area that the shoulder straps come out of the carseat. Her shoulders should be level to or below the shoulder strap opening (never above), otherwise it's a safety hazard.
:hugs: hope that helps.

Hey hun, we've just started putting Lily in her next stage up now, shes over 24lbs now tho, she looks so much more comfy in hers now lol.

I switched Addison to her Convertible carseat just recently because she is too tall for her infant one. This way she can still be rear facing as well

Thanks! This is a really useful thread - I was wondering about this for the future.

xxx

Caitlyn is 17lb but she is so unsafe in her smaller one, the straps are on the highest setting and halfway down her back! It's her second newborn carseat and they're both too small now. I'm considering moving her up soon.

i started a thread like this a while back :) and i believe it goes on weight rather than age, kaci gave me some excellent advice on it. and also when their shoulders are too high on the back of the straps, as toria said x

Even when you move them to the biggest one, it's recommended they face towards the rear until they're a year now.

Connor went into a convertible car seat at 6 months.

I think you should be going by height.. My friends baby is just over 10 months and he is clearly too tall for his car seat, which was his newborn one. :( I hope she gets a new one soon.

I moved Brennan over to a convertible car seat at 5 months. I bought the Britax roundabout, which says it can be used from birth. It sits up higher, and he can see a lot more, and he has been much happier in it. I thought it was 20 lbs or 1 year, which ever came in last to put them forward facing.

Moved Josh onto a convertible car seat when he was 6month, we got the Eddie Bauer convertible 3in1 car seat and I love it !!!!!

they say not to move them until they are 20lbs or their head is at the top of the car seat.

Kacy didn't go in to a forward facing carseat until she was a year, Kira is going to go in one very soon cos of her weight

I don't know if it's the same over there, but here they say they HAVE to be in a rear facing until a year now. They just recently changed it.

lucy is in the second seat now but mine is from birth so she faces the rear at the mo but once she weighs enough il turn it round so maybe buy one like mine and it will last til there 4yrs old. x

I think you should be going by height.. My friends baby is just over 10 months and he is clearly too tall for his car seat, which was his newborn one. :( I hope she gets a new one soon.

Over here it's weight, age and head control that determines front or rearward facing. In some countries they're recommended to be rearwards facing up to the age of 4years and they have different car seats to us.

Mothercare and Halfords will weigh your baby and check your carseat suitability. I had to move Toby out of his travelsystem carseat but he still needed to be rearwards facing as he didn't weigh enough to be forward facing safely so I bought a carseat that can be used rearwards and is now forward facing:happydance:. Mine's like this but a different cover

https://www.babys-mart.co.uk/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/FCS039

I waited until the recommended age now of 1 year (before this the muscles in the neck aren't mature enough for forward facing). Actually Katie was over 1 year. Her legs were crunched up but I knew she was safe. I didn't move her until her head was just over the top of the carseat.

I definitely wouldn't compromise on this guys so no forward facing until at least 1 year.

I definitely wouldn't compromise on this guys so no forward facing until at least 1 year.

I don't think they sell big rear facing seats? And Anna is definately getting too big for her small rearfacing carseat now. The straps are half way down her back and her head comes right to the top of the seat.... It is getting tighter and tighter to do the straps up and if she is wearing a lot of layers I can't get it to clip in so have to take her coat of. What should I do??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->