When do you move then on to a big car seet?

The convertible car seat I have does rear facing until 1yr old. I think you should just have a look around to find one that does rear facing but for children under 1. It's important they have a rear facing car seat under 1. xx

I don't know about where everyone else is but in the US they HAVE to be atleast 1 yr AND 20lbs to face forward and it's actually recommended to buy a convertible carseat that goes to 30-35lbs rear facing and keep them rear facing until they reach that limit. We used Hayden's infant carrier seat until he was about 10mo then bought a Britax Marathon and he is now 15mo and he does sit forward facing in my hubbys car because it's smaller and that's the only way we can fit that seat and the older 2 boys seats in there so they can all be in their carseats, but in my van he is still rear facing and will be until he is 35lbs

We just had a woman come to one of my baby groups to talk to us about this. The rules in Canada are that they need to be in a rear facing seat until they are both 1 year old AND 20lbs+ If they are too tall or weigh too much for their infant carrier before a year then they need to be in a convertible seat that has a rear facing option.

As far as straps go for rear facing the straps should be at the shoulders or below and for forward facing the straps should be at the shoulders or above.

Off topic a bit but another important bit of information is to remember that when the seats are tested/ checked for safety by the manufacturers they don't factor in the use of extras... Things like after market (didn't come with the seat) padding - you know all those super cute fluffy cozy pads that go between LO and the seat so that the seat is more comfy. These can affect how well the seats work in an accident.

I don't know about where everyone else is but in the US they HAVE to be atleast 1 yr AND 20lbs to face forward and it's actually recommended to buy a convertible carseat that goes to 30-35lbs rear facing and keep them rear facing until they reach that limit. We used Hayden's infant carrier seat until he was about 10mo then bought a Britax Marathon and he is now 15mo and he does sit forward facing in my hubbys car because it's smaller and that's the only way we can fit that seat and the older 2 boys seats in there so they can all be in their carseats, but in my van he is still rear facing and will be until he is 35lbs

Actually they dont HAVE to be by law. My doctor told us at his 6mo appoint, 9 months or 20lbs.

Actually by law in TN they do, I need one more post to post the link so jus a sec

I just reread it and it looks like in TN it's still 20lbs or 1yr, but most states they have to be both 20lbs and 1yr. But it's actually recommended, not law, to keep them in much longer, they are much safer that way. Here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo

Britax are one of the best car seats going IMO as they are able to keep the children in a 5 point harness until they are something like 65lbs + can't remember the exact weight.

But again it is really important that the straps are set up correctly!
Rear facing the straps need to be at or below their shoulders
Forward facingthe straps need to be at or abovetheir shoulders

I have a huge britax car seat from birth to 4 years. Caitlyn is rear facing in that xx

Something like this is ideal:

https://www.mothercare.com/Britax-First-Class-car-seat/dp/B000M8EPWE

I kept dd in her rear facing m&p seat until she was 13 months, I wouldn't take the chance any sooner. She is still in her 2nd one, she isn't quite heavy enough for the next stage one even tho she is 4. It goes by height and weight - not age.

Ds is much bigger than dd was so I may have to get a seat like the one above.

We use the stage 2 car seat for Joey (he's 7 months) because he was wayyyy to big for his rear facing one & much too heavy. My hv said if they're weight is correct for stage 2 then you can go ahead and buy it. But i did however look around for a rear facing one but couldn't find one for his size.

wow, what a difference in that video between rear and forward facing. This is something we'll have to consider very shortly.
Got Ruby weighed today and she is just over 19lbs so she's only got another 1lb to go before we need to get the next stage seat. Better start doing my research and which are the best seats.

You don't have to move them as soon as they reach 20lbs. Check the max weight for your current seat.

Something like this is ideal:

https://www.mothercare.com/Britax-First-Class-car-seat/dp/B000M8EPWE

I kept dd in her rear facing m&p seat until she was 13 months, I wouldn't take the chance any sooner. She is still in her 2nd one, she isn't quite heavy enough for the next stage one even tho she is 4. It goes by height and weight - not age.

Ds is much bigger than dd was so I may have to get a seat like the one above.

yeah i have one of these seats and lucy seats init and is rear facing and i wont change until she reaches the recommended weight and age. i much prefer these to the carry seats becasue she seemed so squashed and uncomfortable!.

I have a new car seat, and it says they can be rear facing til 30lbs, I plan to keep him rear facing as long as I can, because it's the safest

They go in weights I think, the one we have is suitable from 20lbs. I think thats about standard from all. I have no idea how much Seth weighs but we thought we'd get ours in the sales.

Mothercare were really helpful when we went in and asked for advice about them a few months ago :) Id def speak to them if you're unsure

xxx

I got max a new car seat which is rear facing 5-20lbs or 20-30" and forward facing from 20lbs-45lbs or 30+ " its a great buy much more roomy and easy with the straps

You don't have to move them as soon as they reach 20lbs. Check the max weight for your current seat.

Yes I know.
But the maxi cosi seat we have just now is already getting tight for her. Her shoulders seem squashed and can hardly move her arms in it. I remember DD1 being about 10 months before she went into No 2 seat but even though the maxi cosi is supposed to last them a lot longer I think it's a lot smaller than other stage 1 seats.

Im off to look in the sales will get a combination seat so he can sit rearward until a year old x

Yes I know.
But the maxi cosi seat we have just now is already getting tight for her. Her shoulders seem squashed and can hardly move her arms in it. I remember DD1 being about 10 months before she went into No 2 seat but even though the maxi cosi is supposed to last them a lot longer I think it's a lot smaller than other stage 1 seats.

I agree, the maxi cosi is small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->