When does hCG stop doubling?

Elisheva009

Reaction score
I'm 5+4 weeks along.

My doctor is on holiday and I've been calling his substitute since last Wednesday and to cut a long story short, he has still not sent me referrals for blood tests, scans or appointment with ObGyn.

If I don't get the paperwork tomorrow, I am considering paying privately for Beta hCG blood tests to check the viability of the pregnancy but I'm wondering at what point the numbers don't have to double in 48-72 hours. I know that once the pregnancy reaches a certain point, the hCG rises more slowly.

Is it worth doing the blood tests at this point?

I think after 6 weeks it slows down but you can still use online hcg calculators to check if your rate is in the normal range. But if it's possible, maybe wait and get a scan in a week or so to see a heartbeat, that's much more reassuring and predictive of a viable pregnancy.

Thanks for your reply. I think it is going to be a while until I can get a scan as I haven't even got the referral yet and once I have it there won't be appointments available right away, especially at this time of year.

The normal range at any point in the pregnancy is extremely wide, so I'm not sure that would tell me anything.

Yes you're right, but I mean if you do 2 hcg tests a couple of days apart you can see if your doubling time is in the normal range.

So if I do one tomorrow and then one on Wednesday when I'll be 6 weeks, the numbers probably would not be doubling at that point?

It slows down by 5w. I can’t remember exactly when but I remember my doubling with my son slowing up a lot by 24dpo (5w3d).

It’s very uncommon to have blood work or ultrasounds this early. Even if you have a history of loss, they won’t order it unless there’s an active concern about your pregnancy’s wellbeing. Early scans and blood work isn’t a reliable indicator of pregnancy health. The only real reason doctors order them early on is to rule out ectopics. Yes, doubling hcg or a heartbeat at 6w are positive signs. But they don’t guarantee a healthy pregnancy. That’s why the standard practice isn’t to have your scan until 7-12w. If you’re not experiencing any pain or cramping, it’s really not worth paying for the beta in my opinion. If it’s giving you a lot of anxiety then only you know what price is worth your peace of mind. I get them done because I have an anxiety disorder plus it’s covered by my insurance lol. Also usually after 5w my doctors don’t bother with betas unless I beg as the ultrasound is more telling

Last edited:
I remember seeing strong heartbeat and being told my last pregnancy was healthy. My beta at 5w6 was 40,907 and then 6w1 was 52,270. So the doubling rate was 136 hours or 5.5 days. My doctor was really pleased with it plus the heartbeat and measuring perfectly in size. Up to that point, everything was going as well as it could be.

At around 6 weeks.
Hope you get some answers soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"