When is elevated BP a problem?

Perplexed

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
My BP has been ranging between 138/92 to 144/99 and my Dr told me that if it's over 140/90 you must go in to the hospital. Well... yesterday I did and at the reception they insisted I go in to the ER rather than waiting to see a free OB but the ER DR said that my 144/99 BP was absolutely no cause for concern and would not let me see an OB. He said if you insist on seeing one it's fine but he can say with certainty that there was no need for one, then he added, "you're skipping work aren't you?" as if I came in to the ER making a fuss because I didn't want to go to work. I don't even work. Today my BP is 138/99 and I have a headache and nausea and don't know if there's anything I should do? Anyone have any experience? I am 20 weeks now.

I was told by nurse at my gynae that once the bottom number goes over 100 then its cause for concern. I have preeclampsia. My bp was rocket numbers top and bottom. If u feel you need reassurance, get hold of your doctor to clarify hun. Also mention to him or her what hospital said. Gosh i go at any time for my BP at gynae nurse and never once had they made me out to sound looney. We are looking out for our bubs & ourselves. Hope u come right love.

I had high bp when I was pregnant with DS. They sent me into hospital when it reached over 140/90. Headaches are a sign of high bp but also could be from the worry. I would go and see your doctor and get checked out.

You shouldn't have been treated like that by the hospital. It really frustrates me that you get told to have stuff of concern checked out and then you get treated as if you are wasting their time!

High blood pressure isn’t to be taken lightly in pregnancy and if you’re constantly having higher than normal readings or headaches or feeling off definitely go see your Obgyn! He/she will probably tell you to go buy an at home blood pressure cuff and monitor on your own and keep a journal of your numbers - if they stay high they will take blood/urine samples and go from there. Good luck!

It also depends on what your baseline was before you were pregnant or right at the start of your pregnancy. They should be evaluating what’s high for you. I naturally have a very low blood pressure so the threshold of when to worry was lower then someone who normally would have a higher read, I hope this makes sense and good luck!

I agree that bp is serious--shame on that ER Dr for saying that to you! Keep an eye on it and if you need to go back, demand the OB. You are not wrong for wanting what's best for you and for baby!

Thank you ladies. I did end up seeing an ob at a separate clinic later in the day and she told me to keep an eye on my bp and did the bloodwork: My bp before all this is generally really low so it’s so odd for me to see it jump up like that. i have been getting constant headaches for weeks now and I guess it’s hard to tell wether the headache is a cause or symptom.

Thank you so much everyone. I tend to feel really bad when made to feel like I’m wasting Drs time and my mom was appalled at what he said but I thought it was just out of worry for the baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->