When is it too late to start preparing?

3xpire

Mother to Kalei Mae (:
Reaction score
So I'm 27 weeks pregnant now, and me and OH/Fiance found out we're having a baby girl. A few weeks ago we bought a couple of onesies, pacifiers, and a couple accessories, but we haven't gotten anything besides that. My mother's buying our crib and our car seat thank heavens, but I feel like I should have almost everything already! It's starting to really make me panic here. We're still working on getting into section8/family housing here so we can be more on our own with our baby, so that doesn't help any.

Should I really be worrying or panicking? I see now so many people that I know and on here already have their nurseries done and so many things bought and said for, so I feel really, really behind. /:

As far as I'm concerned, I MIGHT have a small baby shower in May, since I'm due in July, but that depends on my financial situation, as I just lost my job. AHHHHH.

:shrug:

Try not to worry, you have lots of time! We had everything prepared for our first baby, and then he came early and was a preemie! We quickly bought some preemie diapers and clothes and we were good to go. As long as you have a crib, sheets (a waterproof mattress pad is nice, too), carseat, diapers, wipes, clothes and some blankets (and bottles if you're not nursing) you should be fine. It's fun to buy the other stuff but it isn't all necessary, and certainly not all needed right away. In fact, we bought many things that our child didn't like or need, so the next time around we bought a lot less. Don't worry, you have time (and I definitely hope you have a shower...it's really nice to have other people buy some of the things you need!).

Try not to stress :)

If it makes you feel any better, I haven't bought anything except a jogging stroller on sale LOL. I still need to drive/move across country somewhere around 32-34 weeks pregnant, and then buy my stuff once I settled. :dohh: LOL, so I think you are in good shape ;)

I'm still buying things at 32 weeks and our nursery is no where near done :). Oh I've also lost all the clothes for 0-3months :o, I'll have put them somewhere safe :). One thing I would say is that it poss better to leave some bits till mat leave as it'll give u something to do xx

It's never too late to get organised... U may feel better once everything is ready tho... My SIL still hadn't got her bassinet until the day her daughter was born... She's never been one for organisation and she coped just fine :)

I've got some clothes, and ordered my pram at 16 weeks, but only because there was a 3 month wait for it. I haven't got anything else yet. I'm not planning on having a nursery done before she's here as she'll be in with us for 9 months in a gliding crib (which we've chosen, but haven't ordered).

Hun I didn't even find out I was PG until I was over 25 weeks gone! We bought and built our travel system and swinging crib the day my waters broke :haha: you've got plenty time, try not to stress :)

I am 39 weeks and other than a few packs of diapers and PJs I got a carseat and a bassenet. I went crazy getting everything set up for my first and had all the outfits and gadgets and let me tell you that none of it was touched for almost 2 months. For the first two months of my DD life she lived in pjs and onesies, no mother and baby really want to be all dressed up. All she did was sleep and eat and poo (thats where the diapers came in) and she slept in a bassinet that was in our room every night and brought into livingroom durring the day. They make you think you need all this stuff and maybe some people do need other things, like bottles, I breastfed for the first 2 months, but trust me you will sit there a few weeks after your new baby comes, looking at a nursey that you baby has never slept in because you want them by your side at all times saying why the hell did I drive myself crazy getting all this done for none of it to be used :) I know I did :)

We just finished our nursery in the last week at 39 weeks! I really did not do a ton of stuff until 32+ weeks and kicked it into high gear this last month. Early on but still in the third trimester we did paint the room and get our car seat and a used pack n play from Craigslist so at least we had somewhere for him to sleep.

The only thing I recommend is that if you have something you want to make or do that requires energy, at least for me it was easier to do that stuff earlier on because the closer to the due date the more tired out I get!

My DH did not sleep in his crib until 4 months old. Go to Goodwill or a baby consignment store and get some newborn and 0-3 month PJs. Get a couple swaddle blankets, diapers and anything else you can get later. You might really want to get out of the house and welcome a run to Target. If not there's always Amazon.com! :)

I'm 35 weeks and we've only just ordered cot, change table and travel system yesterday, and got a baby bath the day before. We have clothes, bibs, some blankets and diapers, but nothing else has arrived yet except have the bath. We are pretty disorganised. So, if you're worried we should be totally freaking out. We don't have room to set up a nursery where we live now so while we plan to buy pretty decorative things none of it will be used until we move in July. We're a bit of a disaster really! My suggestion is don't worry - most likely you have a long while to prepare still.

I didn't get a lot of stuff until I found out I was 4cm dilated :L and even then I didn't get everything - had to get my dad to pick me up a baby bath while I was in hospital :p

I know it may seem like it's crunch time now, but if your really wanted to, you could probably have everything done and put together in a week or two. I'm also going to have a bit of a late start as DH and I had to spend a lot of money to get our entire roof repaired before anything, it put a big dent in our finances and right now we are saving up money to be able to start buying things. Try not to worry, it will all come together soon

The only thing I would really research and buy early (ie as soon as possible) is a car seat. Just so it's there if baby arrives early because you won't be in the right frame of mind to research it then. Other than that, like people said, a few onesies/sleepsuits, blankets and diapers is all you really need in the beginning but all of that can be bought short-notice if baby arrives before you're organised.
For everything else, I'd say look into it now, make a list or maybe a wish list on amazon or somewhere and then buy it as and when you have the money (in order of preference). You really don't need half of the stuff baby stores and advertising would make you believe you need. A nursery would definitely be way down on my list of priorities, ours wasn't used until LO was a year! A carrier is nice to have (and cheap eg on eBay) though and can replace an expensive and bulky pram in the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->