When should I schedule Preconception visit?

I just looked up my vaccination record from when I was a child! If anyone is interested the recommendations were:
Between 6 - 14 months - Diphtheria/Tetanus/Whooping Cough/Polio
15 months - Measles
5 years - Diphtheria/Tetanus/Polio again
10-13 years - BCG (for TB I think?) - done in school
11-13 years - Rubella - girls only - done in school
15-19 years - Polio/Tetanus, then every 10 years thereafter

So there was no such thing as a mumps or chicken pox vaccination then, so none of us in this over 35s group will have had it (unless you had it later. But it's not one they do for travelling so there's no reason why you would have. (It was the measles vaccination I wasn't allowed to have, but I had measles as a child - so I'm alright on that front now).

I just looked up my vaccination record from when I was a child! If anyone is interested the recommendations were:
Between 6 - 14 months - Diphtheria/Tetanus/Whooping Cough/Polio
15 months - Measles
5 years - Diphtheria/Tetanus/Polio again
10-13 years - BCG (for TB I think?) - done in school
11-13 years - Rubella - girls only - done in school
15-19 years - Polio/Tetanus, then every 10 years thereafter

So there was no such thing as a mumps or chicken pox vaccination then, so none of us in this over 35s group will have had it (unless you had it later. But it's not one they do for travelling so there's no reason why you would have. (It was the measles vaccination I wasn't allowed to have, but I had measles as a child - so I'm alright on that front now).

I remember the 5 year old set - the polio because you got the drops on a sugar cube which I thought was really cool and one of the jabs went in your bum and it was a really oily one that hurt. I think I may have missed the others as we moved to the States and I don't remember ever having an injection at school. I know I caught TB as I tested positive and had to take these awful, huge, round pills everyday for 6 months. Hmmm, yes, I'm definitely going to ask my mum. Thanks for all that info!

[
I remember the 5 year old set - the polio because you got the drops on a sugar cube which I thought was really cool...
I went back for the 10 year booster recently and was most disappointed because they don't do it on a sugar cube any more, they give you a jab instead!!

[
I remember the 5 year old set - the polio because you got the drops on a sugar cube which I thought was really cool...
I went back for the 10 year booster recently and was most disappointed because they don't do it on a sugar cube any more, they give you a jab instead!!

Nooooo! Bet that was a bit of a let down. lol

I remember the sugar cube one, that sugar cube tasted pretty funky.

I asked my mum and she said I did have a measles shot, plus I caught mumps as a kid (didn't remember that, was only a toddler)and whooping cough also as a littlie, even though I'd had the vaccine, and caught chickenpox as a 12 year old I remember that as I caught it pretty badly.

The chickenpox vaccine wasn't around when we were kids no, but if I have a kid it will definitely be getting that jag, chickenpox is the most unpleasant thing I've had in my whole life (which poboably means I'm lucky but it was horrible).

I worked with a couple of older people who had polio as children, awful disease, thank goodness we have modern science.

My friends partner who's in his late thirities caught measles as a young child and is deaf as a result of measles complications - I'm glad I know I have all these immunities.

Nooooo! Bet that was a bit of a let down. lol

:haha: Yes it was!

The chickenpox vaccine wasn't around when we were kids no, but if I have a kid it will definitely be getting that jag, chickenpox is the most unpleasant thing I've had in my whole life (which poboably means I'm lucky but it was horrible).

I remember it being just annoyingly itchy for a couple of days, so I must have got off lightly! But I still have a scar on my tummy from the "queen spot" or something like that - one big spot that's worse than all the others.
I had measles while on a family holiday in France. Now that was a bummer!

Yep I'd vaccinate kids against everything - not least because I'm not very good at dealing with ill people!! That MMR scare has a lot to answer for in the spread of diseases that had previously been nearly wiped out.

Totally agree, my friends partner didn't have his MMR as his mum was scared of all the bad publicity and he's deaf as a result (was born with perfect hearing).

My chickenpox was vile, I still have a couple of small scars on my face and one giant one on my tummy too, which was the first spot which I probably scratched like feck cos I didn't know 'twas The Pox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->