when should i stop work?

emalou90

Reaction score
so i think i'll be entitled to Maternity Allowance as i've worked for a long time but not enough for Statutory Maternity Pay.

I'm 21 weeks now, ideally i'd like to stop work in November sometime or even early december probably is better.

as baby is Due in January.

this is my first baby so im not sure what im doing regarding leaving work and getting benefit...

help? :shrug:

Have a look at this hun...

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Expectingorbringingupchildren/DG_10018741

I'm due on 28th December and i'm finsihing work on 26th of November (but using some hols as well so my mat leave starts on 6 December)

yeah i don't get SMP but i get the other one! haha

thanks though.

i think its up to me when i stop work? x

Yeah its completely up to you. But I think it has to start after 26ish weeks...can't quite remember but it can only start after a certain point in your pregnancy!

As far as I know you can work up to your due date....I'm working until 2 weeks before I'm due!

As for MA, I'm not too sure as I'll be getting SMP. It will tell you on the direct gov website though :) xx

Hello there...You need to have worked for your employer for at least 26 weeks by your 25th week i think..you can take maternity leave from your 29th week and you get 9months now instead of 6 with smp..with my 1st i took it from my 29th week and i will warn you the time drags in especially if you go overdue and takes 2 and half months off your maternity leave but it's up to you xx

im 23wks 5days and due on the 24th dec im starting mine on 23rd dec if he doesnt come early!!!

thanks Key123, after thinking about it im probably put it off until the day before my little one is due too.

makes sense doesnt it?

Hi...with MA you need to have worked for 26 weeks out of the 66 weeks before your due date.

You need to have payslips covering 13 weeks of that period, which need to amount to about £100 a week (or more, i'm not sure but the DWP website will tell you)

If you're working you can claim MA at any time once you stop (my sister worked until 38 weeks, and forgot to claim until LO was born) so hers started after the baby was here.

If your not working MA will automatically kick in at 29 weeks. Which means you'll have less time getting money when LO is here.

I'm getting MA, and my current job is due to end in 3 weeks (arghh!) in which case if I cant find any more work i'll sign on for 2 weeks, and my MA will kick in at 29 weeks.....If I can find more work then when that ends I'll claim MA as soon as i've stopped working.

I hope that helps.

Wow, I thought I was being risky starting maternity leave 2 weeks before my due date!!! :D xx

suzanne - i mean start claiming for MA before baby is born hehe not stop work one day before!

i think you are cutting it short ;) but i admire you for that, make the most of a steady wage x

Ohhhhhhhhh :dohh: baby brain!!!

I am being brave....but I only live 5 mins drive away from home so it doesn't seem so bad somehow. And I think I'd get bored at home, the waiting would drive me mad :)

My work are being flexible so if I decide I need to finish early they will let me :) xx

hehe :) yes that doesnt seem so bad if you live close.

thats nice your work is being very flexable, hard to find these days.

im on a 3 month contract at the mo, so i think they won't renew it in October (which is fine)
so if they don't i'll apply for MA earlier than a day before baby is due x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->