When should the midwife let me hear hb?

chrisi

1st Trimester
Reaction score
Hi There

Does anyone know when you should here your babies hb? I had 2 scans at 8 and 12 weeks but I never got to hear the heart beat? I have an appointment next week for bloods to be taken by the midwife do you think shel let me hear it then? Im bit concerned as i cant find it with my own doppler and just want reassurance! I thought i had found it but i think now after posting on here itwas actually my own i could here as it wasnt fast.

Thanks xx

i have spoken to a few friends that are pregnant around the uk and it seems it varies from area to area.

i heard heartbeat at 14weeks, but the MW did warn me "that she may not be able to find it cos of how low in pelvis it is" but she did find it. my mate is glasgow has just turned 20weeks and has only just heard it at her 20week scan for 1st tiem.

I think midwives have different trains of thought on this - my midwife doesn't attempt to listen till the 16 week appointment but some are later.

I actually heard my baby's at the EPAU when I was 15+3 - GP sent me because I was so anxious.

So, depending on your midwife, I'd guess you should get to listen in next week. Good luck!

I first heard mine at 16 weeks. You don't hear it as scans here, not sure what it's like in other places, but they tend not to do it too early as it can be difficult to find that early on x

Same for me as some of the other girls said, I got to listen to the heartbeat at my 14 week midwife appointment. But she was very clear in stressing that 80% of the time she couldn't pick it up at 14 weeks as baby may be tucked too far down. I think she could see I'm a worrier! Luckily she found it straight away... and it was amazing I have to say. I would ask, seems you are the right stage in pregnancy for it to be heard.. good luck! x

Good luck!! I hope u get to hear it soon! I had my 20 weeks scan yesterday and I still havent heard it! The midwife just hasnt mentioned it to me! Got another appointment in 3 weeks so if she doesnt mention it then, I'll just ask! But if they dont mention it at ur next appointment, I would just say to her!! Whats the harm in asking! :D

I heard mine at 16 week mw appointment (which was lovely as DH happened to be with me) BUT it does vary very much from area to area. Never heard it at any of my scans but I guess that's because they check and measure the heartbeat using the scan instead xx

Hi the midwife let me hear bubs heartbeat when i was 16 weeks. She told me that before that sometimes they can find it difficult to find. So not to worry the mum to be the midwife does it in the gps at 16 weeks because theres a much better chance of picking it up.

I was almost 18 weeks before hearing the heartbeat, it is worth asking though, hope you hear it at your appointment, its so amazing, take care :hugs: XX

I heard it at 12 weeks and 16 weeks and 21 weeks.
If she hasnt offered I'd ask to hear it

I didn't get to hear the baby's HB until after my dating scan (12 weeks scan)- dating scan was in the hospital - and then had a follow up appt with MW at GP's surgery the next week.

A family friend of ours who is few weeks ahead of me apparently heard her's at her booking appt with MW when she can't have been more than 8/9 weeks- I asked my MW and she said she couldn't check for HB until later as she her portable HB thingie couldn't/might not pick it up - I was well gutted.

I think each MW is different though - no harm in asking at your next appt.

have u got angelsounds doppler ? think they jsut dont wrk as good for some than others, i cudnt find the babies HB on mine past 15wk, so i sold it and got a hibebe on i was that worried, i had a mw app day b4 16wk and she said dont be alarmed if we cant find it the babies still very tiny, she did find it however, yours shud listern to urs next app, explain to her ur worries and im sure she will at least try x

i was shown it during my 12 week scan but was told they dont use a doppler to find it until 20 weeks here but they will let me hear it in the next scan at 19 weeks. i have my own doppler and afer being able to find it easily till 15weeks i can no longer find it. keeping my self sane with the thought that he/she is just moved towards my back and is being as stubborn as its father!!!!

At 9 weeks the heartbeat could not be heard on the Doppler but, I did see it on the Ultrasound machine at a rate of 173. This past Monday at 14 weeks I was able to hear the heartbeat at a rate of 155.

i heard mine at 14 weeks and then heard it again on wed which made me 16+5 x

my MW wouldnt look for mine at the 16 week appointment as she said they dont do it cos it can still be hard to find. she said she will do it at my 24 week one.

In this area, they listen for it at your 16wk appointment. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->