When to ask for home birth?

sylvia29

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I saw my midwife at 28 weeks and said I wanted a home birth, but my midwife said they don't discuss that until 36 weeks because I'd still have to be low risk then. I get having to be low risk and reviewing the decision at 36 weeks, but it seems like waiting until then to even discuss it is just leaving everything to the last minute. I want to be prepared! It probably doesn't help that I find the midwives who visit my surgery to be cold, hard and dismissive. I have no idea who will be looking after me were I to have a home birth, I thought when you asked for a home birth you would then be assigned someone throughout your pregnancy who would be there at the birth as well, well when there's only 4 weeks to go, maybe less, what's the point!
Anyway I'd be grateful to know if this is the normal response. Thanks!

I told them at booking I am having a home birth - but it won't be discussed until 34-36 weeks when they will do a home visit.

In my area, we don't get assigned a midwife - my midwife is attached to a community midwife team and it will be one of them who attends, depending who is on the rota for the day I go in to labour.

If you find your midwives aren't particularly supportive or easy to approach, you can complain to the head of midwifery/supervisors of midwives for the area - I've had to do that and have had nothing but help since

xxx

Wow I'm surprised they said that??? Mine offered it at 16 weeks, I'm sure if anything changes then she'd talk about a different location but why would they assume you aren't able to - until then?? Yeesh.

It depends so much on where you live.

I was listed as wanting one when I saw my GP at 5 weeks!

I've been seeing the homebirth MW since 24 weeks when I confirmed I wanted to go ahead with it.

To be honest apart from seeing the same MW every time (which is nice) there's no difference till she comes to do the home visit at 34-36 weeks. She won't discuss it with me in any detail until then!

Thanks ladies, I didn't even know they did a home visit before the birth! I feel woefully uninformed about their side of things, and wouldn't know what to expect myself if I wasn't reading everything I can get my hands on! So maybe I will complain Booflebump.

The home visit is a risk assessment. They will recommend if you need to clear space or if there are any places that are unsuitable. You don't have to follow this advice but it can help in an emergency.

My MW told me she recommended this woman to move loads of stuff off the floor in the room she wanted to give birth in. She didn't, and in an emergency it was really hard for the paramedics to access.

Hope you get more info/help setting up your home birth. Where I live they were practically falling over themselves to offer it because they've got a target to hit.

I was offered a homebirth at my booking in appointment! and im high risk. Thing is even high risks can have home birth, they have no legal right to make you have a hospital birth. if you are in labour at home and want a midwife sent to you as you refuse to have a hospital birth, they have to send one out to you x
I would organize what you can now yourself to make it feel more organized xx

Although I told my midwife early that I wanted a homebirth, nothing was really discussed about it until 36 weeks so yours sounds about right. At 36 weeks if everything is still okay then they will arrange a home visit for you. It's there that they give you all the information, go over what will happen and what you need to provide - so have all your questions ready then. No midwife is assigned to you, it depends when you go into labour as to who you will get!

Good luck with it!

Homebirth has been show to be as safe as, if not safer than birthing in a hospital... one has to wonder why that is.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->