When to be concerned about decreased movement?

mcwhmm

Reaction score
The past two days I have noticed a huge change in baby girls movement. She used to move literally everytime I move or ate anything. Then the past two days I poke my belly to get her to move and she moves once and that's it. I even tried drinking orange juice twice yesterday. I do feel her, but it's much more subtle and not as often. Last night for example and I did feel her, I couldn't fee her or see her move until I put my hands on my belly and then could feel it. I know that babies have decreased movement around this time due to running out of room, but I couldn't even sleep last night because I couldn't stop thinking about it and trying to get her to move!

Baby's movements do not slow down towards the end of pregnancy this is a myth.
Rather they become less pronounced but you should still have the same pattern.
Any changes in pattern of movement should always be checked out

I just hate to bug Drs even though I know that's what they are there for! I never called or went in for anything with my daughter but this time it just seems different.. Or maybe I'm just paranoid after having one early loss last year. I think I'll call the office here in a bit and they will likely send me to L&D for an NST or maybe just come in for an ultrasound. The thought of just coming in and hearing the heartbeat in the office isn't all all reassuring because you have no idea what's going on in there!

Please please call the unit and go in for a BPP and NST.

As the pp said, babies movements should always be checked if they deviate in any way from what has been normal for your pregnancy.

Please call them now. That's what they are there for.

Babies movements don't decrease or slow down if it's not normal for your baby go get checked for peace of mind xx

I just ate lunch and she was moving up a storm afterwards. Perhaps I'm just being paranoid or she was having a lazy night last night? Regardless I'm going to keep a close eye on it! It's like she knew that I was about to call and was moving up a storm to let me know that she's okay! Lol

That's great.
Never be afraid your taking up Dr's time with decreased movements.
That's what they are there for.

I had a day like this on Sunday and ended up going in to be monitored. All was fine but the midwife stressed to me that any time I think movement is decreasing I should always go straight in, even if I've been in the day before! It's always better to be on the safe side. Really glad to hear movement picked up for you.

They say that movement should not decrease towards the end of pregnancy, but it seems most women do experience "lazy days" here and there. That's not a reason to not get checked though, better safe than sorry. I also think we become paranoid after a loss. I wasn't half as nervous with my first pregnancy. But after an early loss less than a year ago, i worry non-stop and will probably continue to do so until she's in my arms.

They say that movement should not decrease towards the end of pregnancy, but it seems most women do experience "lazy days" here and there. That's not a reason to not get checked though, better safe than sorry. I also think we become paranoid after a loss. I wasn't half as nervous with my first pregnancy. But after an early loss less than a year ago, i worry non-stop and will probably continue to do so until she's in my arms.

I agree, I never went in with either of my other two children and they did have quiet days, but this time I am much more paranoid after an early loss last year. Always better to be safe than sorry.

The past two days I haven't even wanted to think about buying baby items because I feel like I'll be jinxing myself. Today she has been moving much more, but it still feels decreased? Maybe? She's been all on one side. I feel like if I call them and say that I feel her though at all, they will just say all is fine. I just don't want to be someone who calls for every little thing even though I know that's what they are there for. It's crazy how with our firsts, we weren't like this. You'd think that the first would be the most scary! I never worried about anything when I was pregnant with DD. I just get myself paranoid. I don't want to call either and then they have me come in and then she's just moving up a storm! One lady that I work with told her Dr twice that she felt decreased movement when she really didn't, she just wanted to get an ultrasound. I don't want them to think that I'm just trying to do something like that.. they likely will just do an NST anyways and not an ultrasound.

and I'm just rambling... Lol, sorry!

The past two days I haven't even wanted to think about buying baby items because I feel like I'll be jinxing myself. Today she has been moving much more, but it still feels decreased? Maybe? She's been all on one side. I feel like if I call them and say that I feel her though at all, they will just say all is fine. I just don't want to be someone who calls for every little thing even though I know that's what they are there for. It's crazy how with our firsts, we weren't like this. You'd think that the first would be the most scary! I never worried about anything when I was pregnant with DD. I just get myself paranoid. I don't want to call either and then they have me come in and then she's just moving up a storm! One lady that I work with told her Dr twice that she felt decreased movement when she really didn't, she just wanted to get an ultrasound. I don't want them to think that I'm just trying to do something like that.. they likely will just do an NST anyways and not an ultrasound.

and I'm just rambling... Lol, sorry!

I can so relate. I have all these gift cards that i don't want to use until baby is born because i'm also afraid of jinxing myself. I have the essetial items that i will need in the first days, but beyond that i am waiting.

My arms have been itchy for the past couple of days and now i've convinced myself i may have cholestasis. I think i will go in and get checked tomorrow. I don't see my doctor until monday. Ugh, i can't wait to give birth. I have less than 3 weeks to go.

I've talked to my midwives about this a few times. It's normal for baby to have a range, with some lazier days and some more active days. But they need to stay in that range. If he falls below his usual lazy day movement, I'm supposed to call. At my appointment the other day, I was also told the bare minimum (not sure if this is in general or at 37 weeks) is three periods a day of big activity, with at least six movements within a half hour during each of those periods. But even if he's meeting that goal but not normal for him, I'm supposed to call.

There's a good chance that if baby is being lazy, there's a simple explanation and nothing is wrong. Mine has had sleepy days during growth spurts, the day after I've taken melatonin (I decided better sleep wasn't worth worrying the whole next day), and the day after my TDAP (we were both exhausted). But it's better to be too careful than not careful enough if movement isn't normal. Doctors would rather see 100 paranoid women than one grieving woman.

I had decreased movements with my last pregnancy, she moved but it wasn't like normal. I went in to be monitored, hooked up to the monitor at 7:30pm, my little girl was born by emcs at 10:10pm. I contemplated not going to get checked as she sometimes had lazy days, if I had left it she wouldn't be here today. So get checked out, its better to be a pain in the butt and everything to be ok than not. Good luck and hope all goes smoothly xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->