When to drop a BF?

Blah11

☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼
Reaction score
Amelie has been on 2 meals of puree a day for a couple of weeks now and I was wondering when she should go without her milk feed at those times? Usually she has a BF at about 5am, goes back to sleep til 6.30, then we get up and she has breakfast at 7.30 (usually a fruit puree with baby rice or porridge mixed in) Then she usually has a BF at 8am or so but this morning I gave her some water in her sippy cup so she isn't thirsty and am holding off on the milk feed until after she wakes from her nap at 10-10.30.
Should I do the same at dinner time? Hold off on the feed until just before bed? She has dinner at 6.30ish and bed at 8.30ish.
Oh and when should I introduce a 3rd meal? I was gonna wait until she was eating lumps a bit more but I don't think she'll be on stage 2 for awhile yet. She's managing the spoon and swallowing really well now and opens her mouth when I put the spoon upto it :cloud9: Think I should introduce some veg+protein mix at lunch time and keep the veg/fruit mix for dinner?

Oops this turned out quite long so thanks for reading and any input would be appreciated X

I wouldn't hurry to drop the milk feeds, just see how she goes. She may well stop wanting them but she will do so when she's ready. Poppy went up to 3 meals a day quite quickly ie within 3 weeks but then she was 6 months before we started weaning her so we had to move fairly quickly. She only started dropping her mid morning and mid afternoon feeds in the last few weeks, and some days even now she wants milk feeds throughout the day. I am just sort of going with the flow!

Maybe get your LO onto 3 meals in the next week or so and see if she takes it but carry on with the milk as normal. That's my opinion anyway!

I wouldn't drop the feeds, I would go off what she wants, if she wants to nurse right after feeding I would do that, she might be thirsty but not want the water...that's how Hayden was for awhile. As for 3 meals I would go off of her as well, if she seems to want another then add it in, we waited until 9-10mo to do 3meals though.

I would let her lead the way. Poppy still sometimes wants a mid morning feed and almost always has a mid-afternoon feed. Remember that milk plays a huge part in their diet until the age of one and it's important they get plenty.

It was around 6 weeks into the weaning process before I had Poppy on three meals. I'd say just take it slowly, there's no rush as she's still only little. x

Thanks girls. I actually held off giving her a feed after breakfast and she went for her nap for 2 hours as usual so I don't think she missed it. Still gave her one after dinner though. Think I'll hold off on the 3rd meal for now! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->