When to offer breakfast?

jessmke

Reaction score
I'm struggling with when to offer Isla breakfast. She usually wakes at 6 am to nurse, then goes back to sleep until 8 am. When she wakes at 8 am she won't nurse. I know I am supposed to always offer milk before solids, so I don't know if I should be giving her breakfast when we get up at 8 am if she doesn't nurse first. Sometimes I can get her to nurse an hour or so after we get up, then I will give her breakfast before she goes down for her nap (so I nurse, feed her solids, and then nurse again before nap all within about an hour and a half!). But often she refuses to nurse until nap time so I end up not feeding her breakfast at all. If she nurses at 6 am does that count as having milk before solids if I give her solids at 8/8:30 am?

Sorry if this is confusing!

The idea is not to replace milk feeds with solids, and not to try solids when LO is starving hungry (as they get to frustrated). I would probably just offer the breakfast at 8am if you know she is usually not interested in milk at that time. There is no rush though at 7months, sop if you want to keep going without breakfast for a while then that's fine too.

I would give breakfast at 8ish my lo has bottle at 6 and then breakfast at 8 X

We done
Bottle 6
Breakfast 8
Bottle 10
Lunch 12
Bottle 2
Tea 4 and bottle for bed at 6 x

If she's happy to have it and isn't too hungry, I would offer breakfast after she gets up at 8am. The advice is to offer milk first, but first doesn't mean exactly right before, usually about 1-2 hours before. When my daughter was just starting on solids, she used to wake for a milk feed around 6am, but didn't go back to sleep after. She'd usually have breakfast then around 8am and then more milk around 10-11am before her nap. The recommendation to offer milk first is just so they aren't so hungry that they won't eat any solids at all. So like I wouldn't get straight up at 6am and offer solids first thing as she's probably hungry and needs a drink after sleeping, but 8am sounds perfect.

My LO is slightly older (9 months) but at 7 months we gave milk, then let her feed herself breakfast - she usually had something like chopped tomatoes, toast, avocado, or scrambled egg or something. She fed herself in her high chair.

Now at 9 months she has cereal with milk in it straight away then gets a bit of milk afterwards. It might be different for us due to her being on prescription formula, but the dietician told us that from 8-9 months food should be offered first.

I would count the 6am milk as her morning feed. My DS will bf some time between 6 and 730 then go back to sleep so I offer breakfast at 9. If he feeds earlier I usually would offer him a bf then breakfast 30 mins later still around 9-930 if he eats he eats if not I don't worry about it. He loves his breakfast !

Thanks guys, I'm going to start giving her breakfast when we get up at 8 am. She is so difficult to nurse during the day, I can usually only get 3-4 nursing sessions in at the most, so I am really paranoid about replacing a milk feed with solids. I don't want to encourage even less nursing!

I used to give her porridge made up with formula around 8am also and gradually reduced the oz down in the morning feed. So if you give her 7 oz give her 5 and the other two in her breakfast. I think the morning bottle was one of the last to go though gor us as obviously they are ready for a feed when they wake up. The lunchtime and afternoon feed went first then morning around a year then bedtime one at 13 months x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->