When to start preparing my body for trying?

Wildfire89

Reaction score
I am getting married in July and my fiancé and I are going to start trying once we are married. I have a few bad habits tho that I have to quit. I smoke cigarettes, drink, and I use tanning beds.
Would it be okay to continue until I find out I am pregnant and then quit or would it hurt the baby even if I quit right when I find out?
I know it's not healthy for me, but I don't want to quit until I have to. If I have to for the health of my baby then of course I would quit before starting to try.

Congrats on your pending marriage! :) Super exciting! :happydance:

I am in a similar situation that I also smoke. Although I don't tan or drink like I did in the past, I just quit smoking 3 days ago and got on a better eating program and we are going to TTC in April.

With DS I quit smoking 5 months before I conceived.

I think adopting a healthy lifestyle before getting preganant not only increases your chances of an earlier BFP, but a healthier one AND it's so much harder to quit WHEN YOU HAVE TO!

Just my two cents, but I am not a doc, just going by what they told me!

I second deegilbert.

Pick up a copy of What to Expect Before You're Expecting from the library, bookstore, etc. or just look it up online. All those things can hinder your ability to even get pregnant (with drinking it depends on how much). Those things can hurt the baby even before conception actually. However, the book recommends "getting ready" at least 3 months before trying to conceive. Obviously you already know that all those things should be stopped in general, but especially if you are TTC. Smoking is such a strong addiction, I would recommend stopping that one NOW, since slip ups are super common.
I commend you though on coming on here and being honest about what is going on, especially for the wellbeing of your future child!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->