When to start Rice/cereal?

ab2401

Reaction score
At what age did you start feeding your little one rice/cereal?

On the back of the box it says between 3 1/2- 4 months... is that right?
Seems so soon, If I started now (Rylees 4ms) would I do a bit every bottle? or just for lunch time?

Shes taking 7oz now.

What do/did you do?

I started giving Ebonii rice when she was 9 weeks and she totally loved it shes now 17 weeks and on 3 small meals ( veg and fruit purees) a day alongside her milk (7-9oz bottles)

edit... copied this from another thread i replied to lol

when we started her tho it was just a few small spoonfuls of rice for about a week then small tastes (purees) and Ive gradually given her more and more

best time to try is when LO isnt too tired and is fairly happy

my routine is ...

gets up roughly 9am ... baby cereal with 7oz bottle I use some of that to mix cereal tho

12.30-1 another bottle along with veg or fruit puree

bottle milk around 4

then at around 6.30-7 she has savoury boxed heinz food(just add water ) or veg or fruit puree with some water or baby juice

then 7.30-8 milk around 7-9oz and she goes down to sleep and thats her till next morning

within 2-3 weeks of starting Ebonii on rice she was on 3 small meals a day

I started Colton at 9 weeks as well. Right now he just has a fruit/veggie puree around 9am; and has cereal right before bed. I give him 5-6oz bottle and then 2-3oz more with cereal.

Here they say don't give baby cereal in a bottle and to feed it to the baby in the spoon, not sure why but thats what it says, My doctor said not to start intill 6 months.But every baby is different

Just gave Anna her first taste of baby rice today :D The box says 4 months but she always seems so hungry and I thought that a bit of propper food might help her to feel more satisfied... She took three spoonfuls and loved it - seems to have done the trick in chearing her up this evening too :happydance:

She couldn't eat after every feed lol 3 spoonfuls was enough for her, I reckon maybe once a day, or once every 2 days or so...

But every baby is different - just take it at their pace, there is no right or wrong with babies as they are all different - there is just a right-for-this-baby, sort of thing. If that makes sense lol

Does anyone else think it's stupid that the pack says to throw it away after 4 weeks? What kind of baby could eat a whole box of baby rice in 4 weeks?!

[edit - Has anyone else found themselves wanting to taste it? I know it's made with my milk so kind of icky, but it just smells so nummy I was tempted to finish Anna's bowl off for her! :blush: lol]

Just gave Anna her first taste of baby rice today :D The box says 4 months but she always seems so hungry and I thought that a bit of propper food might help her to feel more satisfied... She took three spoonfuls and loved it - seems to have done the trick in chearing her up this evening too :happydance:

She couldn't eat after every feed lol 3 spoonfuls was enough for her, I reckon maybe once a day, or once every 2 days or so...

But every baby is different - just take it at their pace, there is no right or wrong with babies as they are all different - there is just a right-for-this-baby, sort of thing. If that makes sense lol

Does anyone else think it's stupid that the pack says to throw it away after 4 weeks? What kind of baby could eat a whole box of baby rice in 4 weeks?!

[edit - Has anyone else found themselves wanting to taste it? I know it's made with my milk so kind of icky, but it just smells so nummy I was tempted to finish Anna's bowl off for her! :blush: lol]

Didn't you also crave burnt toast?

:dohh:

:hug:

There's a peach porriage and OH loves that!!

you'd be surprised how quick that rice disappears lol

and yeah i taste everything thats prob why im a fat cow :dohh::rofl:

Didn't you also crave burnt toast?

:dohh:

:hug:

Haha yes, don't remind me! lol Can't stand to even think about the stuff now - makes me feel sick :sick:

Doesn't anyone else think that baby rice smells nummy? :blush:

I've tasted it and tbh I can see why Kaya doesn't like it - I prefer the strawberries and apple she had today lol

Caitlin had baby rice when she was 4 months and loved feeding - took to it straight away and tbh we quickly changed to 2 meals a day never really stuck with the baby rice and recently to 3 meals a day!

4 weeks - baby milk is the same! I always date anything liek that and gripe water and buy fresh 4 weeks later. If it recommends buying a fresh box after weeks I do :D

Rusks & baby rice in bottle feeds is not recommended here in UK either my Aunt recomemnded this asthats how people use to do things but soon got told NO! Feed in bowl with a spoon (baby rice) its good for them to learn anyway if you wish to feed them it!

They say not to feed any foods before 4 months because babies can develop allergies to the foods down the road. I would really wait until then.

My pediatrician also said 4 months. She brought it up at Erica's appt last week, that when she has her next appt, we will start introducing cereals. I've heard that babies can develop intolerances and allergies if food is given too early. I guess its up to each parent and baby tho. Riley is probably right on track to start with cereals. =)

The healthvisitor I see at the breastfeeding cafe said that 4 months is a guideline, but that if your baby is ready for food then it's fine to start a little sooner. She also said that regarding allergies - the sooner babies are introduced to foods, the less chance of them getting major allergies because they have the opportunity to build up resistence? Or something like that lol I didn't quite follow - sorry!

Seems that different health proffesionals give conflicting information, though, because my dr said that we shouldn't feed them until 6 months!

I decided that since Anna's happily taking the food and seems ready for it, and it's showed no signs of making her ill or anything, I'm just gonna carry on trying a few spoonfuls a day and see how we go :)

The healthvisitor I see at the breastfeeding cafe said that 4 months is a guideline, but that if your baby is ready for food then it's fine to start a little sooner. She also said that regarding allergies - the sooner babies are introduced to foods, the less chance of them getting major allergies because they have the opportunity to build up resistence? Or something like that lol I didn't quite follow - sorry!

Seems that different health proffesionals give conflicting information, though, because my dr said that we shouldn't feed them until 6 months!

I decided that since Anna's happily taking the food and seems ready for it, and it's showed no signs of making her ill or anything, I'm just gonna carry on trying a few spoonfuls a day and see how we go :)

yeah I was told the same even the 6 month thing :dohh: they all seem to differ

I deffo think Mummy knows best ;)

Thanks girls! I have no idea whats up with my ticker.... Rylee is 4 months, she hasn't been for long but she is.

I think I'm going to try come cereal for lunch today and see how she does.

I will be sure to take some pic!

good luck xx

my ticker is wrong too Ebonii is 4 months and 4 days :dohh:

hummm.... I wonder whats up with that?

Colton's pediatrician asked if we had started cereal at his 2 month appointment :/ hmm maybe she was testing me.. lol.
He has been on them since about a 1-1.5 weeks after he turned two months though. I started him with rice cereal for a few days; then started fruits.
Now he has rice cereal, oatmeal cereal, and stage 1 fruits/veggies including: bananas, applesause, peaches, pears (which he doesn't seem to like), prunes, peas, squash, and sweet potatos. Tomorrow he is trying greenbeans and then in about a week he will get carrots.

But I agree.. it's really up to the mother. Mother always knows best. :)

I started feeding my lil one rice cereal via spoon at 4 months

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"