When to start talking about 'getting older'

aymz1983

Reaction score
At lunch yesterday, OH and I were talking, and we'd gotten onto the subject of DS and his voice breaking. He's only 9, but as he was playing with his sister that morning, his voice briefly went in all sorts of sounds directions, i joked with OH that that's a preview on what his voice would be like whenever it breaks :D

Anyway, it got me thinking about puberty in boys (and girls, to an extent, even though i dont think will need to think about DD yet as she's only 6) and i asked OH when he'd started (about 11) and did some researching on the net as i would obviously like to know about the boys side as well, having never grown up with them. But im not sure at what point to sort of, sit down with him and talk with him about these things. I dont want to leave it to OH as quite frankly, he wouldnt be as thorough as i would lol. Also, i want him to know he can come to me as well as his dad.

But is 9 too young to talk about these sorts of things do you think or should i have done this earlier? How would i go about it? Im not embarrased to talk to him about it, ive answered some questions before on sex/babies that was appropriate for the age when he asked them, but not about puberty and that. i think he might know basic bits from school friends (as they do) but i would be interested to hear how accurate that is if that's the case lol

Quite scary really to think how grown up they are becoming. At least i have harry to mother for a few years yet :D

So if anyone's already done this i'd be thankful for some advice :flower:

Working with children and teens, I wouldnt say 9 years old is too early at all. By that age, they will already have picked up that both boys and girls will go through (if not even started) changes. He will probably know more than you think :)

Enjoy! :)

I think my eldest son was about 8 when I started dropping references of puberty into conversation.. he stopped me pretty quickly, and said something along the lines of 'don't worry mum.. I know I'm gunna have hair in all sorts of places,sweat lots and my monkey nuts will drop' :rofl: youngest son (8) also knows all about it from a mix of his teen brother/sex ed at school. He ran to me a few months ago to tell me through giggles that he opened the door while his sister was showering an saw her 'pubes' :haha: he now checks for his own pubic hair every day lol

oh wow, ok, maybe he will know more than i think then! lol. thanks ladies, i might drop a little something into conversation then, and go from there. big help thanks x

You can talk about it whenever in my opinion just be calm about it :X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->