when to stop bed time storys

leahsbabybump

Mummy to 3
Reaction score
just wondering at what age do you think i should stop reading my son a bed time story
i usually read him a short story and he has books in his room which once i have read him a story and tucked him in he reads to himself

:flower:

how did you break the habbit iykwim
if i suggest him go to sleep right now without a story then he will get really upset :-/

My 6 year old doesnt have one anymore. When he started bringing reading books home from school we moved from all the boys going to bed together and being read stories to the others going before him and him staying up a little longer and reading his school book to one of us, then being taken up and kissed goodnight

I would stop when you child is ready to stop. If he is still wanting you to read one then i would definitely do it. It's such a lovely thing to do with your child. Daniel is nearly 5 and we love reading with him before he goes to bed.

My OH's mom didn't stop, or at least not for a really long time.

Personally I love the idea of reading my kiddo a story each night. It's a nice bonding time for him and I, and I love that I'm getting to share my enjoyment that I get from books with him. Like a PP said, I don't plan on stopping unless he ever wants me to.

My oldest will be 6 in a month and loves bedtime stories still. I'll stop whenever he's ready for me too.

I still read them to my daughter at bedtime every night. She really likes it and it gets her excited for reading. I'll continue to read to her until she no longer wants me too, as she gets older I may try to get a bit more interactive, such as having her read to me, or reading together every night but the books will always be there as long as she wants them.

I don't think you should stop unless your child wants to. It's always going to be beneficial, not just from a learning point of view but also maintaining a good bond as they get older.

From reading other peoples comments it would appear that we still do the bed time story even though I thought we didnt LOL I always think of a bed time story as them laying in bed while you read to them, which is what we do with my 4 and 2 year old but my 6 year old we sit together and he reads the story, then if his a bit tired but still has a little while till he has to go up, I take over for a couple of pages.

My girls are 9 & nearly 7 an just last night my 7 year old asked me to read her a story. When I did my 9 year old put her book down and listened. Both girls are good readers with tested reading ages of 11yr 6mths and 9years so it is not that they need me to read - they just enjoy it.

There is no right time to stop - it will just happen.

You can try and gradually reduce the length of the story everytime you read one to him and try and get to the stage where he doesnt need one anymore. Also these things tend to be just natural in the sense that he will probably grow out of them and wont want or need one anymore. I think the age can vary depending on child but usuaally between 7-10

I never even thought about them stopping!>?!?!?

I will just change the books we read x

I'd keep reading until my son didnt want me to read to him no more. So I wouldnt put an age on it. xxx

( Your due date is my birthday, lol. :hugs: )

I wouldnt stop hun if hes enjoying it, Once he strts reading happily by himself i doubt he would want you to read every night maybe once a week x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->