When to stop lying on your back

Talia12

Reaction score
I can't remember when you're supposed to stop lying on your back. I'm on holiday and doing some sunbathing ☀️ Is it still ok to lie on my back? I'm 15+3.

You can lie on your back at any point. For me it never got uncomfortable even right at the end, but I did have to roll over before standing up!

I was in hospital for checks weekly through third tri and they had me lie on my back for all of them.

When you can't get up without help or if you cant breathe properly.

They say 16 weeks but i do sides mainly and my back. I don't see how it will majorly harm because some people can only lay on there backs or years ago it wasn't something women were told to avoid x

When it feels uncomfortable after long periods. You can always lie reclining, just not flat on your back, and listen to your body. I would say I tried not to last time from around 20ish weeks to the end of 2nd tri, but I'd often wake up on my back at night, which was fine. I'd just roll back on my side. At 15 weeks though baby will only barely be above the pubic bone and still quite small, so you'll probably feel fine.

Till it's uncomfortable! I always tried to lay on my side in the third tri as it was more comfy but would usually wake up in the night on my back 🙄

My doc says 16 weeks, and I follow that rule. I don't follow most rules, haha, but I do follow that one. :)

Thanks ladies! My holiday finishes at 16+2 so I think I'm good to keep lying on my back till then :D

As of yet, it hasn't been uncomfortable for me, so I still tend to lie on my back.

When sleeping, I aim to sleep on my side just because I have cats who will sometimes jump from a height down onto my belly, which I am not at all keen on... So, if I do lie on my back, I have a pillow on my belly for protection. Lol.

Until your uncomfortable really, but try to be on a slight inclined rather than fully flat especially from 20 weeks.

I think at least by third tri you should stop lying on your back, but prior to that it really depends on your comfort level. Lying on your back in third tri raises your risk of stillbirth, but if you feel no physical effects before that, then I wouldn't worry too much. If you're waking up breathing fast or sweating or feeling really uncomfortable then I would make a concerted effort to stay on your sides however far along you are.

Some people are comfortable lying on their back all pregnancy. My doctor told me I was fine as long as it was comfortable, and I slept on my back until 35 weeks. After that I noticed I was getting short of breath and the pressure was too much, so I stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->