When to tell your boss?

denswife3

Reaction score
Haven't confirmed my pregnancy yet, but already worried about the affect it might have at work.

Ladies, when did you inform your boss that you are pregnant? Did you wait until you showed or before that? I am the only one in my department who can do what I do, so I'm a little worry that my team will not take this pregnancy well. I plan on taking two months off after giving birth.

I think it depends how you feel about it. With both my pregnancies I told my bosses straight away so that if anything happens where you need time to grieve (miscarriage, ectopic etc.) I won't have to explain as much xx

I have a physical job so i told straight away so I would`nt have to do the heavy lifting :)

Also I only get paid for what i work so By telling I now get my maternity appointments paid for :)

I suggest you confirm your pregnancy before you tell anyone that you may be expecting. Perhaps wait until after the 1st T before you announce your pregnancy at work. Obviously when your bump starts to show people will start talking.

Know your rights and office policy on maternity leave -https://www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave/pay.

I think it is all about timing and how you go about telling your boss. Be as proactive as you can about your plan to leave and return and will be happy to train cover whilst your on leave. Make sure you give yourself as much flexibility about returning to work cause once the baby is here, everything you thought you once knew will be turned on its head plus the fact that you will have turned into a sleepless zombie!!

Most importantly enjoy your pregnancy!

I am 8 weeks now.. waiting to tell till i complete 3-4 months (when i would start showing i guess)

I just told me boss a couple of days ago at 13+3. I wanted to get my NT results back and make sure everything was fine. I work in an office so there was no need for me to tell earlier.

I told my boss before I annouced it publicly because I didn't want him to find out from someone else. I felt like I owed him that much respect since I do highly respect him!

I also know that he and his wife had issues themselves having children so if something were to go wrong, he would be understanding and not taken by surprise.

It all depends on what kind of relationship you have with them, the type of work you do and really how you feel personally. I wanted a week before I told him after I found out to make sure the HCG built up properly.

Dee

I have a very stressful job and work long shifts, so I have already told one of my managers. I wanted to make her aware just in case anything happened. I am back at work tomorrow night so am probably going to talk to her about how I officially notify HR and such
With regards to everyone else at work it will be after our scan.

I told my boss straight away as she is extremely supportive and was so wonderful to me with my pregnancy with my son. She was also very supportive when I had my loss back in September. Feeling good about this pregnancy and that we have passed the gestational age of our loss from last time. Can't wait to announce to the whole world after our 12 week scan on June 30th!!

I have been thinking about this same thing. If I can swing it, I think I'm going to wait until after my 18 week scan when I know everything is okay. (Of course, if I start showing way before then people are going to gossip...but I'm a pretty small person and I think I can get away with waiting that long.)

I'm lucky because I work a 4X10 schedule, so I'm off work every Wednesday. So, I don't have to request time time off due to doctor's appts. If If I start vomiting at work or something, I may have to tell sooner. The earliest I would say anything would be 12 weeks when the risk of miscarriage is extremely low. I think it all depends on what type of job you work, how bad your symptoms are, and how comfortable you are with your boss. :)

I waited until 11 weeks to tell. So far I've only told my bosses and asked them not to tell my colleagues. I want to wait until I get my panorama results back before I tell the rest of the office, which should be any day now.

When I told my bosses, they said they suspected it earlier because of my belly (which I have to admit is probably only 25% baby and 75% french fries). I'm only 12 weeks, but I look way bigger.

I didn't want to tell them super early, because if I had a miscarriage, I wouldn't want to have to explain that to them. It seems like it would be awkward and very personal. So I wanted to wait until the risk goes down. I guess at 12 weeks, the risk is as low as it's going to get. Plus, I don't know how much longer I can hide it!

I think it depends on how you feel. I won't be telling my boss anything until I have had a scan as until then I don't know whether there is a viable foetus.

Last time round I told her at six weeks which is ridiculously early but I thought I was having a miscarriage and I'd had to go for hospital appointments so I felt I had to say something.

I should point out that I have told the two colleagues who sit next to me but only because I have stopped cycling to work and I knew they'd just put two and two together. Others are asking me about the cycling. I am making excuses! It's only three and a half miles each way but on the way back it's all uphill and quite taxing so I don't want to take the risk.

My colleagues who know are sworn to secrecy and they know that I haven't had a scan so it may not be a viable pregnancy (I miscarried my first baby, hence I try not to think of myself as even being pregnant until I've seen a heartbeat - hence I don't even have a ticker on here although I'm eight weeks tomorrow).

I wasn't going to tell my bosses until my 12th week but ended up having to leave work last week to go to emerg because of bleeding and I had to tell them. They have been very supportive of my pregnancy and are giving me anytime off I need for appointments and everything.

I had to tell them early on because of the nature of my work and also because I was very sick and off work for quite a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->