When to worry about weightloss in 4 year old?

minties

Complete
Reaction score
Thomas is 4.5 years old. Last October he was 18.1kg naked. He hasn't been eating well at all lately and today he is 17.7kg fully clothed and after I managed to get a piece of toast, raisins and water into him.

If he kept following the same centile line for weight he should be about 19.7kg by now.

Technically he's fine as his weight centile is still a little higher than his length one, but he is big boned and muscular and I only weighed him as he was looking skinnier. His pants fell off while he was walking.

He's a busy wee boy with preschool 5 afternoons a week. Should I just keep an eye out and maybe weigh him once a month? He doesn't really know what the scales are for, he thinks the numbers are a digital clock.

If it were me I would increase calorie intake by adding double cream and butter to things and offering more calorie dense foods. And reassess in a month. If he still losing weight or not putting on, have him checked out by the doctor. Request a blood test as dropping centimes can sometimes be a sign of something underlying not being quite as it should. X

Thanks :). I think I will take him to the doctor on Monday as he is lethargic and only eating a banana a day or other such small amounts.

We do eat lots of calorie dense foods as I am on a ketogenic diet, so have plenty of cream, fatty meats, avocados, nuts etc. He just won't eat any of it :-(

Good plan. I hope everything's ok. That's interesting that you're on a ketogenic diet, we are starting that (or ketone supplements) for my youngest son to help him progress.

If he is still in proportion to his height I wouldn't worry too much as long as he is eating.
But as you say he isn't eating maybe offer different food and if his favourite foods don't get him eating then make sure he isn't ill.
Even a cold can put people of eating. Be careful dinner doesn't become a battle of wills.

He ended up very ill. We have no idea what was wrong at all. He was lethargic, had zero interest in food, a sore head and ear (but no infection), an irritated throat but not sore, and fevers. They couldn't pin point anything in hospital and the flu swab came back negative.

He is eating again today :).

On the charts he was in proportion, but he dropped almost 5% of his weight very quickly and his bones are quite prominent in various places now. He is big boned like me so tends to be a little heavier for his height to appear the same as his friends.

Poor wee man but good to hear he is eating again and over what ever was wrong with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->