When will food overtake milk?

Alyssa Drough

Reaction score
My lo is nearly 8 months. She started trying purees just after 4 months and is now on stage 2 jars and finger foods. She is also formula fed.

She shows a keen interest in food and will try anything, but it still hasn't gotten to a point where food replaces a bottle. She'll still quite happily drink her milk all day long.

I'm just wondering when she might start dropping bottles and letting food become her main source of nutrition. I don't wanna try and force it but it'd be nice if she'd start weaning off the bottle soon!

I've been thinking this too his many bottles is yours on? I dropped mine down ton3 bottles at 7 months thinking it could be awful but they were surprisingly fine about it!! Wondering when I can drop to two or drop altogether as mine are more interested in food than bottles

9-10 months was when she first dropped a bottle, and by 12 months she was done with them. I also started at 4 months and just kept increasing the older she got - she started dropping the bottles when I fed her regular food and tossed the baby stuff. I started giving her a sippy around 6 months to help her get used to drinking from something other than a bottle. She's very independent, so she was happy to switch from "Mommy" feeding her to feeding herself. :haha:

Milk should be their main source of nutrition until they're 1. My LO was probably close to 15/16 months before she was eating considerably more solids than milk.

My 9 month old has dropped 1 bottle so far. He dropped it around 8 months I think. He now has 5 7oz bottles a day but will occasionally only have 4 a day if he STTN (which happens maybe once or twice a week).

I'm also wondering when he'll drop the others as he's approaching 10 months now and I'm worried about having to switch him to cow's milk at 1 year and him not getting enough nutrients

Ds dropped his first bottle at 7 months, from 5 to 4, somewhere between then and 9.5m he dropped to 3 bottles and from 9.5-10m he only had a morning and evening bottle. I never did anything to get him to drop them though he just dropped them himself. Dd is 7.5m and has 3 bottles a day. She's still having 20oz though just in fewer bottles.

We did BLW and started at 6 months and my daughter dropped a milk feed at 9 months. It probably wasn't until just after a year when food really started to replace milk, as in she quickly went from 3 milk feeds a day at 12 months to just the bedtime milk at around 14 months. But there was a noticeable difference in the amount of food she could eat at 9 months and that's when her interest in milk started to wane.

For us I let Rio decide when he was ready. When we were first weaning he still had 4 8oz bottles a day. Dropped one at 8 months, dropped the other at 10 months then dropped to one bottle a day by his first birthday. He has just turned 14 months and has decided he no longer wants a bottle at all now so is full nutrition is from food. (He gets milk in his breakfast though and yogurts cheese etc so not missing out) x

DD2 is 6.5 months old and now on 2 meals a day but still has 4/5 bottles too.

Her bottles are either 9 or 8 oz bottles but she only finishes probably 2 of those. With DD1 I remember she was still having a morning and a bedtime bottle until she was about 18 months I think, then she dropped to just a bedtime one, now at 2.5 years old she's been 'bottle-less' for about 7 months :)

It will just happen naturally I think. They seem to find what suits them best. You will find the bottles just start getting rejected so you will naturally swap them for either a meal or a snack depending on the time of day if that makes sense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->